Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 21-May-2004, 10:55
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
there is a sllim chance, - perhaps a very slim chance that the judge will look favourably on you as "the system" is under some sort of media review right now, - the idea of point being related to the speed done and road conditions, location etc. So I would make as many notes as possible about road conditions, number of cars around you (or hopefully empty road) etc. At the end of the day you know you are going to be done, - I guess your aim has to be to just reduce the punishment, - put an order in for a multistrada blaim the manufacturer for making a bike that does 150mph and selling them for the road? Sorry being flipant, not smug, - I reacll why I gave up biking for about 8 years in 1990, - got caught doing 115mph and then waved over by a policeman in a hurry to be somewhere else at 120mph about 2 weeks later. Good luck whatever.
Old 21-May-2004, 21:03
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
As Lizzie said we have all done it best of luck mate.
Old 24-May-2004, 18:49
Big Twin

hey guys im certainly not looking for sympathy, certainly could have been worse, there are many examples of 140-150 mph offences that could begin custodial scentances. just glad thats not me, at least not right now!

just wnat to know what to expect because my employer can dismiss me instantly if i get disqualified, as holding a driving licence is part of the posts essential criteria.

any previously sucessfull mitigation would be interesting.
Old 24-May-2004, 22:26
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally posted by Bungi
hey guys im certainly not looking for sympathy, certainly could have been worse, there are many examples of 140-150 mph offences that could begin custodial scentances. just glad thats not me, at least not right now!

just wnat to know what to expect because my employer can dismiss me instantly if i get disqualified, as holding a driving licence is part of the posts essential criteria.

any previously sucessfull mitigation would be interesting.

you have my complete sympathy.

Its really starting to bug me how a (probably??) law abiding citizen (altho we are actually subjects, says it all really!), who pays his taxes, lots of contribution to the insurance industry if he has a duke and under 40, probably contributes in other meanigful ways to the society he lives in, may lose his complete life because he commits a victimless crime. His actions did nothing to push up my insurance, nothing to stop peolpe leaving their homes, not tried to kill, rape or murder anyone, didnt get drunk and threaten all around - just rode too fast on a motorway, the safest place for it. The punishment DOES NOT fit the 'crime'!!

I am sure some will say 'well he could have done this that and the other' 'if he does they all will', 'think of the deaths on the road' but any link is yet to be ACTUALLY established. And if we all got punished for what we MAY do, there wouldn't be enough space in prison

I would ask all those who come here from other developed countries - WHY??? We live in a nanny state, are over taxed, get nothing back and are expecting to thank a copper for letting us off with a fixed penalty!

I think most of you will have seen that I am not anti police, but I am anti many of the stupid, meaningless and frankly absurd laws and punishments we have in this counrty. I sat if your caught doing shed loads of speed, and its dangerous, prosecute accordingly, ie dangerous driving. If not, eg bright sunny day, open wide motorway, not much traffic etc huge fine to deter you. But if you cause someones death or injury thru your actions behind the wheel/bars, throw the book at you and chuck away the key!!

Bungi - sorry for hijacking your thread with my rant... and I for one hope you get a lenient magistrate who will take into account your circumstances.

I'm off to calm down now
Old 24-May-2004, 22:50
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I was reading, cannot remember where ATM, about the popularly quoted statistic that 30% of serious accidents are caused by speeding. It was alleged that a more precise examination of the circumstances shows that this 30% is where excessive speed is a factor - i.e. speed greater than that appropriate for the conditions.
If you look again at these serious accidents, the percentage of cases where there were no other factors other than speed in excess of the posted speed limit the ratio is actually under ten percent.
To illustrate the point of all this, an accident may occur on the motorway at 50mph - under the 70mph limit, but the speed could be said to be excessive because, say, thick fog was present. However, the accident still falls under the category of "speeding". It is here that we see the the popular correlation between "speeding" and serious accidents falls apart, i.e one in ten serious accidents is caused by speeding, not one in three.
I found the article interesting.
Old 26-Aug-2004, 21:38
Big Twin

the summons arrived today!

from what i make of it, i can plead guilty by post and ask the court to deal with it in my absence??

so what will happen then??

my understanding is that to disqualfy you you have to be present? so does that mean i wont get a ban or will they then just write and ask me to attend after ive pleaded guilty,??

it all make a differance as obviouly i need to get the best possible result?

which would be no ban or minimum ban!
id be happy to do this if they are not
Old 26-Aug-2004, 22:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
if you do get a ban for so many months, when you get you licence back it don't have no points on
if you do manage to weasel out of a ban the judge will slap 11 on there plus a hefty fine.
as i understand it?
id prefer the ban option myself as with just 6 of the little buets i regurly have panick attacks every time i creep over the stated limit.
best of luck
Old 26-Aug-2004, 22:30
Big Twin

realisticly no licence no job, employer has already warned me more than a 3 week ban and bye bye, as they wont be able to carry my work load.

or il have to employ someone to drive me and on my wages thats just not likely to be affordable
Old 26-Aug-2004, 22:33

[Edited on 27-8-2004 by peterg]
Old 26-Aug-2004, 22:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by Glyn
if you do get a ban for so many months, when you get you licence back it don't have no points on
if you do manage to weasel out of a ban the judge will slap 11 on there plus a hefty fine.
as i understand it?
id prefer the ban option myself as with just 6 of the little buets i regurly have panick attacks every time i creep over the stated limit.
best of luck
i would rather have 11 points than BAN on my licence, Think of the insurance, They dont like bans

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit