Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Aug-2003, 22:38

bip subframe to ali single

just got ali subframe to fit on my 996bip i was told the wiring loom will not be long enough does this mean i need a complete loom or just part,any help much appreciated,
Old 22-Aug-2003, 04:07

The issue is the computer location. I believe that you can reposition the computer to allow your existing harness to fit. I suggest having a look at a factory mono setup and see how the system is mounted as a guide. I've only seen the repositioning done on a 996 so I'm not 100% sure if the 998 is the same.
Old 22-Aug-2003, 12:32
Mille

Mood: Meditating
The Ali subframe is designed to accept the P8 big brain or the 5.17 computer. If you are trying to fit the P6 you will need to extend the harness or relocate the computer elsewhere.

I have seen a couple of Mr Bidgit jobs where the P6's have been bolted straight onto the rear undertray, but I guess this is likely to shorten component life because of the vibrations.
Old 23-Aug-2003, 14:07
888 at Last !!!

I fitted an ally subframe to by 996S bip. It was an ally sub frame for P8 (bigger with 3 mounting points) computer, mine having a 1.6M computer (smaller with 4 mounting points).

So if you've got the same setup, you should be able to move the current wiring loom about 1" without affecting the routing. I found this was just enough to mount the computer on the 2 cross rails in the center of the ally subframe.

I put a large piece of foam underneath the computer and used zip ties through the bolt holes and round the cross rails. The cross rails also wrapped in foam. I made sure this was the last thing fitted. Now it's not ideal but it does the job and I've had no probs with it.

The main problem with moving the bip wiring loom is the 2 wires that go to the fans. They are just not long enough.

If you've got the R/SPS ally sub frame with the 4 mounting points right at the back of the subframe then I'm not sure if the computer will mount in the centre across the 2 cross rails.

Hope this is of some help
Old 23-Aug-2003, 22:10

cheers lads,ziggi its the R/SPS one
Old 24-Aug-2003, 21:37

Just fyi, it depends which sps/r you mean. There are at least two different types of ali subframe. The 916/996 sps one is for the P8 ECU, and the 748sps/R/916 Senna one has the mounts for the 1.6ECU (as used in all bips). I'm not sure if the 998S/R is different again?

Unfortunately the loom on the bip is too short for either, although a previous post suggested the best way to adapt it is to relocate the loom and then add extra bits of wire for any sensors/fans at the front.