Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Aug-2006, 19:27
Big Twin

Mood: is it cos i is a bricklayer
looking for-- again!!!

looking for complete horizontal head for 600SS---yep the wood ruff key has worn and i have play on the pulley and cam--this happened earlier in the year to the vertical head---i have temporarily fixed/bodged with a spot of weld and tab washers and locking bolts and loctite--- and also devised a decent locking tab system on the pulley nut for the vertical head to avoid this happening again---i check these pulley nuts regualarly, like weekly!!-noticed a drop in power (ok ok what there is of it )yesterday and some slight vibration guess this was the cause of that--any help very much appreciated
dave
Old 19-Aug-2006, 20:39
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I have a complete 750 head to take the cam, rockers and pulley from if they are the same?
Paul

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer
Old 19-Aug-2006, 22:06
Big Twin

paul- congratulations by the way!!-may well take you up on the offer of the cam- i am pretty sure they are the same - they are the same lift/ duration etc the 750 takes the same belts as the 600- the base gaskets are the same for 600 and 750 so the stud pattern must be the same! the only difference i know of between the two heads are the actual valve diameters--- but am not sure about overall length or bearing sizes of the actual cam itself, maybe some one could confirm?-- if this is the case then it would be feesible to drop the 750 heads straight onto the 600 barrels ,would it not? worse case scenario would be some machining to the 600 barrels?--any way im waffling now -- yes Paul if i can get confirmation that they are the same cam in dimensions i'll be up for it -- thankyou
Old 19-Aug-2006, 23:04
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Thanks Dave.
The heads won't fit - someone I know has tried! ;-) I'll check out if the cams are the same part number, although I'm pretty sure the lift/duration etc are the same...... Paul

Paul

Old 21-Aug-2006, 00:05
Mille

Mood: fair to middling
Are you re-using the pulley nuts monstermob ?
Old 21-Aug-2006, 01:18
Big Twin

no zimbo - they were all replaced at the beginning of the year- torqued up and loctited and checked weekly-- this time i may well go down the route of sourcing some conventional hexagonal nuts as what Vee Two market
http://www.veetwo.net/store_product.asp?CID=0&PID=232
this will make for easier implementation of the locking tab system that i have devised utilising the two threaded M6 bolt holes within the pulley wheel itself-or just drill thru the lot and lockwire the buggas-
discussed this with Phil h today he reccommends using the bearing loctite on the nuts
what ever happens when i get this one fixed it aint gonna happen again!
dave

Last edited by monstermob 998 : 21-Aug-2006 at 01:21.
Old 22-Aug-2006, 14:18
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynep
Thanks Dave.
The heads won't fit - someone I know has tried! ;-) I'll check out if the cams are the same part number, although I'm pretty sure the lift/duration etc are the same...... Paul

Monster 600 and 750 cams are the same part number - so the SS ones should be too.

So I have a complete cam and pulley if you want to go down that route, although you'll have to reset the clearances.....

Paul