Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Apr-2004, 01:36
Montjuic

Got a problem

Just picked my 996 S up today, its a 2000. I'm having a problem between 1-4000 RPM's. Seems when i go to take off from a stop it wants to stall, have to nurse the crap outta the clutch to keep it running. Another thing is i have hesitation from hell when i twist the throttle back fast. Seems to be ok, if i do it slow, but if i twist it back fast, it just sputters and accels slowly, almost like its starving for fuel. Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 03-Apr-2004, 09:40
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Might just need to get used to the way Ducati's start if its your first one?

Might also benefit from a quick plug into one of the analysis computers at your dealers or Cornerspeed have one if you want to save a few quid and get good and friendly service?

Will be able to tell you what, if anything, needs doing to it from a ten minute session on his computer.

He should be along soon to offer advice?
Old 03-Apr-2004, 17:08

As mentioned previously, you might take the bike in and have the it tuned. Could be that you have a throttle body sync issue. The dual injector models have a tendency to run rich off idle through the mid range. There is a simple fix in the form of a single injector conversion. Install the FIM UM222 chip and disconnect the two inner injectors. We've done this on a few 996's and the resulting performance and rideability improvments are immediately and impressive. When you have the bike in for service you might also replace the fuel filter in the event it is partially clogged.
Old 04-Apr-2004, 04:40
Montjuic

Cool, is there anything special i have to do for the single injector mod? i've read up on it a little. Just disconnect 2 injectors and use the proper chip right?
Old 04-Apr-2004, 16:57

Vlud, that's correct. Just install the chip and disconnect the two inner injectors. It would be a good idea, but not required, to have the bike properly tuned prior to doing the conversion so that you'll have a good baseline to work from. It just helps keep the variables to a minimum should any problems arise after the conversion.
Old 04-Apr-2004, 20:20
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Lads,
Vlud will have a job to get his bike over the Atlantic to Nelly's,..........he's an American.
Old 05-Apr-2004, 03:02
Montjuic

Ooof, bet my butt would be sore from that ride