Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 20-Oct-2004, 17:29
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
A races series for women isn't about sexism, it's about those that would like to try racing but don't fancy mixing with men on track being able to have a go, get some confidence and move onto that level playing field if they chose to do so.
Old 20-Oct-2004, 17:59
500SD

Mood: DOH!
I see no reason at all why any given woman cannot ride/race at the same level as any given man.
Look at it this way, I am a faster track rider than a lot of men....but I am also a slower rider than a lot of women..........it goes every way.

I se a lot of blokes who think like Steve, ie. she's a girl, I won't let her beat me. Well fine, thats their problem, not mine. I also see alot of men (most) who find the fact that I ride faster than them great!

The thing with using the 'girl' factor. I think Steve will back me up that I don't do that, but believe me, I could! The amount of attention I get is ridiculous. I think it's also partly because of the beautiful yellow bike I choose to ride, but at the end of the day, my husband is there next to me in the garage, way faster than me, and he never gets a second glance. Not fair, but hey, thats life! Hopefully at some time I can get some help because of it?

The all girl team thing to be honest, I'm not sure what to make of it. I did read the site but I wasn't convinced. Maybe you guys could update me on that? As for Mrs couch, she did tell me at Donny she was fairly serious about getting out next year Steve.

So in summary, lets get some but kicked gels, we know we can do it!
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:10
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Jen

Trust me, I really want to get out there, but a mixture of finances or rather lack of, lack of ability and how Freak feels about it, means that I won't be doing it just yet!

I reckon i would do ok on the psychological side of racing, just not quick enough on the bike!!
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:13
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
I'm all for a level playing field.
I used to do NH racing (waaaay back) and the sport was, and still is, dominated by men. It was the game of skill that came into it - just the same as on 2 wheels.

I know I got cold feet at the thought of doing Rockingham, with lots of guys out there - some of whom I ride with on the road who are much more 'sharper' than I ever will be.
As it was, the weather put paid to me getting more out of it than I did.
I certainly wouldnt have wanted it to be a 'ladies only' session then - even tho some on this board are 'big girls' :P

Lily, you are right about the nature/nurture bit, but only you can decide how to handle that.
Me - its nature with the horses, & nurture with my bike.

C

[Edited on 20-10-2004 by CK and AK]
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:20
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
Jen

Trust me, I really want to get out there, but a mixture of finances or rather lack of, lack of ability and how Freak feels about it, means that I won't be doing it just yet!

I reckon i would do ok on the psychological side of racing, just not quick enough on the bike!!

Don't drag me into this.... My opinions are based on what you can or cannot afford, and you cannot afford to race your bike at the moment, and getting some heating in that house of yours take a far bigger priority
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:29
500SD

I can't afford either!! It sure is expensive

I also lack ability but it's coming on, I think racing is dragging me forward slowly, kicking and screaming! The mental side is where I struggle most, my confidence is fragile at best I'm afraid

It's like my old mate Baggy says, 'If only I could do the lap I see in my head!'
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:31
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Bet you've got central heating though
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:35
500SD

Only because I live in a rented house!
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:49
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
If the ladies want to race its got to be on equal terms with the blokes.If you have an all girl race,who is gonna take it seriously!?
Sandra Barnett and Maria Costello are two very fast ladies that have gone well both on short circuits and the IOM TT.Sandra was particulary impressive at the TT on her RC30 and CBR6.I loaned her my Rotax single in '95 which she took to 10th place for a bronze replica and a fastest lap over 100mph.She would have got up to 8th if the clutch had'nt started to slip on the last lap.Not too shabby.
My better half has had a go and was just getting into it when a crash at Mallory dented her confidence.
Lily,if you are thinking of going racing,I say go for it!
Old 20-Oct-2004, 18:55
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I just don't have the funds at the moment so its not really an option unless i start to sell bits of my body!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit