Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-May-2006, 12:35
Mille
Bikes: 998S and MTS1200S

Mood: Growing old disgracefully, DSC member 2387
Rubber things in the Air-intake tubes?

I recently did a mini-service on my 05/2002 998S as I found that the inlet tubes were full of grass n ****.

I found a restrictor about the size of a clenched fist, just as it enters the airbox. It has a small (mouse sized hole) in the middle. After checking loads of web sites around the world I found that these are to do with lowering the noise of the induction system. After removing them the bike seems to rev much quicker (but perhaps it would have done anyway with the grass removed) and I just love the noise.

As I only purchased the bike last October, with crap standard and heavily worn tyres (only 17psi in the front upon collection!! - the worst 170 miles I've ever done, nearly took it back). It's only recently I've really been pushing it. I've noticed that sometimes on snapping open the throttle it hesitates. Is this because these bung things do something else?

What I'm really after is advice from anyone else who knows about this sort of thing?

Cheers

Paul
Old 01-May-2006, 15:23
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Paul, if you are going to take out all the rubber stuff better to fit a K&N type air filter,this will no doubt effect the mixture causing it to run weak because of all the extra air going into the bell mouths. I bet it sounds great on shut down though .4D
Old 01-May-2006, 15:25
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
No worries mate, probably the first mod to do on a std bike is take out those restrictors......instantly more air! Leave your filters in obviously, and keep them clean.

If the rear tyre is original, try a 180 rear.Its an accepted mod by just about all, and it speeds up the steering a bit.

Tyre pressures should be checked cold, before every time you go out! A good routine to get into!

Why do you need to snap open the throttle? Its a duke mate.......(and a very good model!) You could get the fuelling set up that might help, but with the amount of grunt thats got i would recommend being a bit more gentle with it....before it bites you!!!