Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2005, 11:27
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
Coolant Leak Problem

Have come across something a bit odd last night,
Found some coolant in the bottom of my fairing after a run out Thursday night. Warmed up the bike and tightened all the hose clips to make sure they were tight, dried inside fairing and cleaned around pipes etc so i could see if anythin was wrong next time i went out.
Got back from ride last night and there was a small trickle of coolant in the bottom of fairing, all pipes and joints were bone dry, no trace of a leak from header tank,

Temp never got over anything more than 85 degrees so would have thought that there was no fluid coming down the over flow tube into belly pan.

[Edited on 18-6-2005 by Mello-Yellow]
Old 18-Jun-2005, 12:59

It's probably a fine crack in the coolant reservoir, I had the same thing on my 916 a few years ago, turned out to be a crack in the reservoir which was obviously not plainly visible as it was'nt until the reservoir was changed that it was cured. Hope this is of some help.
Graham
Old 18-Jun-2005, 13:04
500SD

What do those small hose pipes do that are under the injectors on the throttle bodies near were they fit to the engine (996 2000 model) have found a small trace of liquid coming from the one that is at the front of the front cylinder

have took a pic of the pipe.

could be running down onto this but carn't see anythin yet

[Edited on 18-6-2005 by Mello-Yellow]
Old 18-Jun-2005, 13:12
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Gray
It's probably a fine crack in the coolant reservoir, I had the same thing on my 916 a few years ago, turned out to be a crack in the reservoir which was obviously not plainly visible as it was'nt until the reservoir was changed that it was cured. Hope this is of some help.
Graham

it all help thanks mate.

Might change the reservoir just to see what happens.
Old 18-Jun-2005, 22:45
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Had to change mine couple of weeks ago, found liquid/stains on my left hand glove especially after giving it the gun . Turn out a fairly easy job to do once you get every thing out the way to get access to it . Picked one of off Ebay that was in A1 condition for £20. 4D
Old 20-Jun-2005, 10:57
500SD

It is the coolant reservoir found a very small crack at the top on the seam, one job sorted.

Now have second job to do, the o-ring on the quick release connecters on the petrol tank is leaking, spirting petrol everywere, hope its that and nothing else.

Old 20-Jun-2005, 11:01
Montjuic

Mood: www.northbelfastbikers.bravehost.com
Could be blocket breather in tank below yokes happened to mate last year try that
Old 20-Jun-2005, 11:23
Dibble

Fordie,

Those reservoirs are only £16 new from a dealer .......

And Gray, it is the most likely cause, had mine go last year and I know WJB had the same on his 748. Its a doddle as Fordie says once you get to it, although I did have Nelly on hands free ... bet then I'm a mechanical numpty .....

Dibs
Old 20-Jun-2005, 13:36
500SD

the tank is easy to do when you get to it, it's just that you have to take most of the bike apart to get to it. Goes something like this.

Take fairing panels off to see whats going on in there.
Seat unit off to get to tank bolt, tank off to get to airbox, carefully balance tank holding it with one hand while you mess around under tank getting those clips to move that hold the fuel pipes in place.
Remove tank and place somewere safe out off the way trying not to trip over any tools that you have left lying around.
Airbox out to get to reservoir,drop one of the rubber grommets but not notice.Drain reservoir and disconnect hoses, take off sensor on top of reservoir,try to get reservoir out, why is it getting stuck .Remove ignition barrel after fiddling around for 5 mins trying reservoir this way then that.

Reservoir is now out.

Fit the new reservoir and reconnect hoses then refill takes two mins very pleased so far quite easy

Refit sensor, airbox and tank after more carefull balancing and fiddling with clips while bending in a awkward way.
Drop allen key while fitting tank bolt and notice rubber grommet from airtube and have to remove the tank and airbox i just put on

Fit grommet, re fit airbox, tank more carefull balacing and fiddling again, re fit seat unit and fairing go in house at about 10.30,get beer from fridge as i think i deserve one after working on the bike and it's to late to start bike to make sure everythin is ok, it normally is so should be this time.

Get up Sunday morning,get bike out, get kitted up,mess round house lookin for ear plugs, after 10 very hot mins find them in the first place i looked, go out to bike start and warm up while i sit on it. Roll back down drive and notice a trail of liquid on the drive ,look down to find side stand and then see petrol p*ssing out from the bike, shut it off quick and wheel back up drive.

Now even hotter and annoyed

Go into house,swear at cat as i trip over him as he comes to front door to see what the noise is. open garage and put bike back in. get out of leathers which takes an big effort as they stick to me as i'm now so hot after all the messin around.
Remove seat unit to get at tank, lift tank to see whats goin on, no signs of leak and fuel pipes connected, turn on ignition so fuel pump works and get covered in petrol when it spirts out of the fitting. Quickly refit tank and swear at bike as i'm not going to be able to do anything about it as it's sunday and local ductai dealer is closed.

Wheel out the Suzuki get back into sweaty leathers go and meet up with the others twenty mins late.

Ducatis dont you just love 'um.
Old 20-Jun-2005, 13:39
Dibble

cant blame the Duke, the o-ring damage will have been caused by connecting and disconnecting the fuel pipes on your own, I know this as thats how I do it, basically its difficult to release them squarely thereby nicking the o-rings on the way through .... right pain but thats how it goes .....

Get the missus to hold the tank whilst ou connect it up ....