Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-May-2006, 19:53
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Last time I was stopped in spot check it was on the A6 heading to Matlock Bath. We ended up in a heated discussion ..... all my fault, but, I felt it was all out of order.

Ususal deal, every bike stopped, officer approached and all he said was "plate and can check". He walked around the bike, commented on the number plate being a tad smaller than it should be, but, the digits were OK so told me to get on my way. His attitude was as though he was talking to a piece of dog ****.

I got a little defensive and asked if he wanted to see any documentation, check the bike was legal .... check it was not stolen. All he came back with (in a very sarcastic voice) was, "be happy I'm not doing visors and helmets, that would cost you £60".

OK, I'm happy that I was not done for anything, but, if my bike had been stolen and stopped in a police spot check I would like to think they would at least check out the owner's details let alone insurance, MOT, tax etc etc.

Basically felt like they were going for easy targets to generate cash and deter bikes from using the A6 Matlock road.

On a positive note, I have always run a race can and a small, but not minute, plate and have generally had positive experiences when stopped. They generally check most things and I ride away with a request to "keep it down and get a proper plate on".

[Edited on 1-5-2006 by Carbon749]
Old 01-May-2006, 20:50
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
some varying opinions and experiences i see. i guess every area and every policemans attitude is different,very different by the sounds of it

although the point about not checking documents and tax is a very interesting one,one i'd agree with. when we were in le mans last year they checked our documents before we left the secure parking, if a volunteer at a bike meet can do it why cant a english policeman with modern technology ???

do speed cameras only work in the sun as you never see them when its raining ???
Old 01-May-2006, 22:51

Quote:
Originally posted by philthy
Zaker

Bet you didn't expect this much 'discussion' when you made
your post

Your dead right, engine mods in future !!
Old 01-May-2006, 22:57
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
Quote:
Originally posted by zaker
Does anyone know if pc plod are out in force this bank holiday picking on bikers again ?

They were easter bank holiday, pulling every biker for a routine check, exhausts, small plates etc in Matlock Bath.

Quite possibly. Stay off the A6 and head in to Matlock then on to Matlock bath ... just watch the speed camera between the 2.

I've found it best to head in to Matlock via A615 ... Wessington / Tansley etc. Not many police along this route and not many places they can set up a spot check pull in area.

I did try to give an answer to your original question before the thread was hijacked
Old 01-May-2006, 23:14

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zaker
Does anyone know if pc plod are out in force this bank holiday picking on bikers again ?

They were easter bank holiday, pulling every biker for a routine check, exhausts, small plates etc in Matlock Bath.

Quite possibly. Stay off the A6 and head in to Matlock then on to Matlock bath ... just watch the speed camera between the 2.

I've found it best to head in to Matlock via A615 ... Wessington / Tansley etc. Not many police along this route and not many places they can set up a spot check pull in area.

I did try to give an answer to your original question before the thread was hijacked

Did have a run out there yesterday via Ashbourne & Leek, came back through Matlock, but didnt see any bobbys. Did put the garage door size plate back on temporaly though !!
Old 01-May-2006, 23:59
Big Twin

A lot of it tends to do with timing. Not sure if it's linked to shifts or time that the police will allocate to policing the Matlock area.

Best to avoid the A6 between 10:30am and 2:30pm. Don't tend to see many police after lunch time. Also, the stop checks etc tend to be on the inbound routes .... never been stopped yet coming back from Matlock.

Hear stories of un-marked police bikes, the odd Honda Blackbird etc. Not sure if these are local urban myths or not.
Old 02-May-2006, 09:13
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Did anyone get a tug over the bank holiday then???????????
Old 02-May-2006, 09:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
BDG,

Your request for some straightforward information has been lost

Got a six digit plate on me 998 and I found some info. on the DVLA site that said a smaller overall size of plate was ok as long as letters, spacing, etc OK. 8x6 if I remember correctly, inches not cm!!!!

Just can't find it again though

If I do I'll try and remember to let you know,

Ray
Old 02-May-2006, 15:23
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
BDG,

Got a six digit plate on me 998 and I found some info. on the DVLA site that said a smaller overall size of plate was ok as long as letters, spacing, etc OK. 8x6 if I remember correctly, inches not cm!!!!

Ray

Bike numbers have to be displayed on two lines...........
Old 02-May-2006, 16:32
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray
BDG,

Ray

Thanks Ray.