Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jun-2006, 20:08

New 748 owner - exhaust question

Hi,

Thanks to those who gave advice in my Would you buy this 748 thread. Unfortunatly the bike sold before I got a chance to go and look at it!

However after an 8 hour round trip on saturday I am the pround owner of an R plate 748 with 10k on the clock in great condition.

Have waited 12 years to fulfill my dream of owning a 748/916 and I wasn't dissapointed with the first 250 mile ride - showing that you can actually cover distances in reasonable comfort (im 5' 10) on a truly special bike.

I thought I wanted a pair of carbon 45mm termi's but I am very happy with the sound of the standard cans, but would still like the look. So my slightly mad question is has anyone resleeved a pair of standard end cans with carbon sleeves? any idea on cost?

Thanks

Jon
Old 13-Jun-2006, 01:04
Mille

Jon

Get the real thing mate - you won't be disappointed....

D
Old 13-Jun-2006, 08:44
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
I felt the same as you when I first got my Duc. I thought it sounded great with the std cans, but then I heard a proper one go past....bought a set of termi's, never looked back.

Ditto djb.
Old 13-Jun-2006, 19:03

I have had twins with race cans before - my TRX 850 sounded great on its twin carbon leo vinces and I had a 2 into 1 Art system on my firestorm (soon to be for sale!) which was too loud and dull.

However I like the engine chatter below 5-6,000 rpm, it adds to the bikes charachter and it means I can slip through towns without much bother. Plus I still get a decent noise when i'm in the mood to play.

I don't think a Ducati must have race cans to be 'proper', they do sound great at full pelt. I just like the different mix of noises produced as standard with the bike beginning to drone just as the power comes in at 6,000 rpm - almost as if it was designed to be that way.
Old 13-Jun-2006, 19:07
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
I hear all you say and agree that it's a personal choice, but, I would say Termi and open clutch cover ... the only sound for me.
Old 13-Jun-2006, 19:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
getting back to what you ask, is it possible to put some carbon sleeves on the standard cans ? I would of thought so, don't know anyone who has done it.
but each to there own.
as the other have said it would not be for me. if I couldn't ride my ducati without a open system I wouldn't have one
Old 13-Jun-2006, 19:37

I probably will pick up a set of race cans at some point, but at the moment a service is due and I am concentrating on getting that done first - want belts done, oil + filter, plugs etc.

I fancy a genuine single seat with number boards, not decided if grey five spoke marchesini's will look better than the powder coated black three spokes I have at present (I think so, but I can wait), then maybe the 45mm termi's last. My V piece has some stone chips and I am torn between getting those touched up or getting a carbon V. I do like the open clutch covers - so maybe one of those too!

But before I throw any money on add ons I just want to enjoy riding my dream bike and to do that I need to get it serviced and also sell my firestorm to repay the money I borrowed to get the 748.
Old 13-Jun-2006, 19:42
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarrenjohnny
I just want to enjoy riding my dream bike and to do that I need to get it serviced and also sell my firestorm to repay the money I borrowed to get the 748.

Fair comment. If it was me I would save the cash instead of modifying standard cans and buy a set of carbon termi (or similar) from flea bay or DSC as and when you are ready to let the sound out.
Old 15-Jun-2006, 13:45
Bevel Head

Mood: Horney
To answer your question there are some carbon sleeves on ebay germaney at the moment, which i think just gives you the look of the the Termi but at a cheeper price.

Try this Ebay number 8074232005

Hope this helps
Thanks
Jamie

Last edited by Tinkler : 15-Jun-2006 at 13:47.