Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jan-2006, 11:01
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Has anyone got an Odyssey battery in their post 2001 Superbike?

If so, which one did you pick and why?

Did you need to modify the battery tray or anything else in order to make it fit?

So far I can't seem to find one that is the right dimensions.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 11:13
MotoGP God

As far as I can see there are no odyssey batteries that have the same dimensions as the Yuasa OEM battery. So if I got one, which I really want to do, it would need mods to the battery tray, or a new tray, in order to make it fit. Something I don't really have time to be mucking about with.

I think I'll just replace the OEM battery, I've found them for £50 including VAT but I'll give JHP a call and see what the score is.

Damn this!!!
Old 18-Jan-2006, 11:43
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
TP a lot of the later 996s running the smaller sealed battery still use the original battery box with a plastic spacer/adapter fitted to it, so fitting a Odyssey battery of the same dimensions as the original 916 battery isn't really a problem. When you get into R models the battery box may well be different, my 748RS had a very small battery and a carbon fibre battery holder to suit, but then it was never meant to run lights etc.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 11:51
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
TP a lot of the later 996s running the smaller sealed battery still use the original battery box with a plastic spacer/adapter fitted to it, so fitting a Odyssey battery of the same dimensions as the original 916 battery isn't really a problem. When you get into R models the battery box may well be different, my 748RS had a very small battery and a carbon fibre battery holder to suit, but then it was never meant to run lights etc.

The R's seem to run the same battery as the other models - but the RS is different.

The only issue with the Odyssey battery that you can use to replace the 916 battery is actually - they aren't the same size. I had to build up the bottom of the battery tray and cable tie the bugger in on the 996 when I put the Odyssey 680 in there. The battery for the 998's is smaller and therefore you couldn't get away with using a 680 - you need something with much smaller physical dimensions. Bearing in mind that the ECU on the R is mounted to the battery tray so there's less scope for minor changes. If you wanted to put a new tray in there to hold a different shape battery you'd have to give consideration to mounting the ECU etc.

It's never easy. If I had more time I'd look at doing that - but I don't so I've ordered a replacement of the OEM. I'll pick it up this afternoon and hopefully the magic will happen
Old 18-Jan-2006, 13:06
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids my 748RS had a very small battery and a carbon fibre battery holder to suit, but then it was never meant to run lights etc.

Skids, which battery was it? Can you remember? Did it turn over the engine or did you slave it? I need a new battery for my RS, but the tray will only take a YS6 sized unit. I had hoped to get a Red Top but the smalleest is still too big.

Am trying to avoid using a slave battery to start the thing, but will go that way if needed.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 13:13
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
John, I always used a YTX7 on my RS and never needed a slave battery to start it. The YTX7 fits the RS battery tray perfectly.
Old 18-Jan-2006, 13:31
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As per Felix the 748RS had a YTX7 battery as standars but also had a connector for a slave battery.
Dallas has recently junked the large lead acid battery on his race 996SPS and fitted a RS type battery tray and a YTX7 battery.
I spoke to him yesterday and he said he had been having problems trying to get it started which he cured yesterday by fitting a new battery. What I don't know if this was a new YTX7 battery or a bigger one.
I will try an find out later when he switches his phone on