Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Feb-2006, 11:09
Montjuic

Back on the road again....

Just finished putting the 916 back together, new tyres, brake pads, rear shock, rear sets, and a few other bits and bobs, plus a good clean, spent a small furtune, but it was nice to get out for a ride.
Still not sure if the Ducati's for me thou, but we'll see.
nice to have a bike back in one piece.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 11:16
Montjuic

What makes you say that ?. I VE had Jap stuff ever since passing my test and got a 996 last year. Took a bit of getting used to but now its great. Cant see me changing back not for a while any way. Stick with it dude.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 11:27
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
How many miles have you done on it Nick? Do you feel like you're used to it?

When I got my first Ducati, my 996, I rode it around and absolutely loved it. But after the novelty of finally owning one wore off I realised it felt like crap! The front would want to tuck and it wasn't confidence inspiring. I changed the worn Dunlops to Pirelli's and had the suspension setup for me and it was a new bike. All of a sudden it would do what I want and then I knew what everyone was talking about - the bike was awesome.

It happened again when I sold that and got the 998R. The first time I really rode it was recently and it handled like a bus! Needed a lot of effort to turn it, wouldn't hold a line and wanted to run wide everywhere. I got a whole lot of settings off Neil Spalding www.sigmaperformance.com for the forks, shock and geometry which we put on. Instantly the bike was transformed and I could do what I wanted with it.

If you're having similar issues, the bike doesn't feel right etc, then maybe this applies to you?

These bikes are built to go around corners. They might take a little more effort to turn than your average jap bike, depending on how you get it setup, and they are ultra stable mid corner. They are a delight to ride when setup properly and an awful pig when they're not.

I hope this helps you mate.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 11:53
Montjuic

Thanks, I'll look into that, changed the 208RR's for the new Conti sports, and thats made a world of differance, suspension is set on the soft side at the moment, and the working rear shock has helped to smooth out the bumps, rather than trying to ping me off!!! as for the turn in, I find mine okay, it nees a little help but it's fine.
This Ducati, is my first Sportsbike, I come from Supermoto, Moto X, so I've got whole new learning curve, it's worst than taking the test again!!!
Thanks again for the info, I'll being having a chat soon.....
Old 12-Feb-2006, 12:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
Or try Steve Jordan in Bookham ( near boxhill) £45.00 for full front and rear set up, he`s very good, ohlins tech.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 12:11
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz 748
Or try Steve Jordan in Bookham ( near boxhill) £45.00 for full front and rear set up, he`s very good, ohlins tech.

I'll second that. I've seen his work in the MRO paddock and some very quick boys are happy with it.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 12:40
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz 748

Thirded, Steve rebuilt my Ohlins rear .... excellent service and seriously knowledgable ...