Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Oct-2005, 10:00
Mille

Mood: thrash the bitch
Renthal sprocket carrier convertion

The sprockets on my 916 need changing, has anyone used the Renthal carrier, was it a worth while mod and easy to fit or should I stay with the expensive origional replacment.
Has anyone got any pictures of this mod...?
Cost from B and C express is coming in at £236, how does this compare with standard.
Old 14-Oct-2005, 10:10
Montjuic

Hi, I had a Renthal sprocket carrier put on my 996 back in January this year at JHP. It cost me then £136.00. Am i asuming the price your paying is for the rear sprocket as well as.

All depends how you look at it if its a good mod. If your racing and you need to change rear sprockets quick, then yeah . If your like me and just want it on to say youve got it, well up to you mate. Go for it!!
Old 14-Oct-2005, 10:57
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
If the bike's a "keeper" then IMO, it's worth it. replacement rear sprockets are just £30 or so, compared to £70+ a time for stock items. You also get a much wider choice.
The carrier is about £105, but you only need it once.
£236 will be for the carrier, both sprockets and a chain. What chain are you being quoted? Tsubaki is a little cheaper than DID without any compromise whatsoever.................... it's better IMO
Old 14-Oct-2005, 12:28
Mille

You are correct the price is for both sprockets and a gold Sigma chain and the carrier, is this a fairly simple job to swop.
Coming from a ST2 I have never worked on a 916 with a single swinger.
Old 14-Oct-2005, 12:35
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Pretty easy job. the hardest bit will be joining the chain as the Tsubaki use a good old fashioned hard rivet link, not one of the soft type.
You either need the correct rivet tool or plenty of patience and a small ball pein hammer.
Old 14-Oct-2005, 13:03

Mood: confused
Renthal

Get the Renthals, and go for the 1 down on the front, 1 up at the back, and Tsubaki gold x-ring chain. Mine already had the conversion, but changing the gearing has livened up the 996 something wicked!
Old 14-Oct-2005, 13:03
Mille

Will the cush drive need replacing, will it get damaged replacing the carrier, is there any chance that could happen.
Old 14-Oct-2005, 13:36
Dibble

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizmo
Get the Renthals, and go for the 1 down on the front, 1 up at the back, and Tsubaki gold x-ring chain. Mine already had the conversion, but changing the gearing has livened up the 996 something wicked!

or go 1 down at the front and three up at the back .. i followed TP down that road .... it's now "radio rental" .....

and the conversion is well worth it ....
Old 14-Oct-2005, 14:29
Big Twin

I'm told by louigimoto that the potential problem with the cush drives is solved anyway with a sprocket carrier (mine's a Talon AFAIK) because the c-d's are positively located and can't go anywhere.

I like the carriers cos I can change the sprockets myself (£22 IIRC) in no time, instead of having to pay a professional to do it.

I'd say they're most worthwhile if you do a lot of miles, like me, or want to change gearing regularly for track-days, etc.
Old 14-Oct-2005, 18:38
Mille

You guys are absolute diamonds, great advise.
I think I will go, one cog down on the front and one up at
the back, that sound like the best combination.....
The Renthal carrier for looks...bling....and sprocket variation.