Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 11-Feb-2006, 22:23
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
Help What is going on here

Ok nice day so got the 748 to play. Bike as been sleeping since November I used to start it up every now and then and made sure it got up to temperature. I also Kept the battery topped up on a charger. I set off this afternoon, filled up and did about 10 miles I got on to my fave bit of local road opened the throtle and the bike just cut out. I suspected a fuse gone. But on checking they were all ok. Wanted to go up to Popham on it tomorrow looks like it will be the Multi now. Any thoughts on what to check next or is it just a case of working through and checking everything.

Mike

[Edited on 11-2-2006 by multi600]

[Edited on 15-2-2006 by multi600]
Old 12-Feb-2006, 11:28
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Is the battery still ok Has it still got a good charge.. Can you hear the fuel pump purgeing when you turn the ignition on, Is there fuel in her. Does she try to fire but not quite. What about the rest of the electrics, is everything else working as it should.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:47
888 at Last !!!

Everything still working fuel getting through. But not making any attempt to start. I think it could be the starter relay? Oh well back in the garage now so it will have to wait until weekend.
Old 12-Feb-2006, 19:54
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
There are more fuses under the seat unit in little rubber covers, they coroad. caught me and the RAC out,worth checking.
Old 13-Feb-2006, 10:15
888 at Last !!!

Thanks will have a look tonight.

Mike
Old 15-Feb-2006, 16:57
888 at Last !!!

Whats going on here

Well how right you were. I found this under the seat. But as it looks so bad I don't really want to just stick another fuse in. Not that I can just yet as one of the blades is welded in still. I could not see another fuse but it is a bit tight to get to at the moment. Any thoughts on why it looks so bad. Does the other fuse holder look like this or is it a bigger holder.

Mike
Old 15-Feb-2006, 18:08
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Crikey.................. That dont look right does it. Im no sparky but that should be your problem.

Wrong rated fuse?
Poor connection causing it to heat up?

DC.
Old 15-Feb-2006, 19:04
888 at Last !!!

It is a 5 amp and that is correct by the Haynes book. However the other fuse, the one I could not find is a 20amp. But I do not think I could have done 2,500 miles on the bike with a 5amp fuse in a 20amp socket, could I. I suppose I will just stick another fuse in and see what happens in the morning. I will pull the bike out of the garage and see if I can track down the other fuse holder.

Mike
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:00
888 at Last !!!

Looked for second fuse but no joy. Does it look like the 5amp one or is it in a different type of holder. It must be there but I just can't see it Could it be further down the loom maybe under the tank? Be nice to have it sorted for the AGM.

Mike
Old 16-Feb-2006, 17:26
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
That looks to me like salt corrosion from the white deposits - typically caused by the winter spray getting in there then easting away. It's like damn acid! The deposits cause the connection to break down and that can pop the fuse easy enough.

Clean the crap off everything and then refit a new fuse. I'm not sure what it powers but I think it goes to the ECU which is why the fuelling circuit is running but the bike cut out and won't start - the "brain" is not telling the bike to fire. The 5A fuse is there to protect the ECU.

As for the other one, I think they're on leads that come from the area in front of the tank, so it's possible that one of them is tucked away under there (or has dropped down in the frame space) so maybe have a poke around and see if you can find it. Again, check the fuse and the condition and clean it if necessary before refitting.

HTH.