Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Nov-2005, 16:55
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Removing anodised finish from titanium

Had the NIYB (New Improved Yeti Bike) up at Nelly's today for a couple of minor tweaks, and we discovered that the hideous gold alloy fasteners dotted about the place are in fact Titanium!

Nelly very generously offered to swap them for a stainless alternatives! I may yet take him up on that, but first thought I might try to tone them down a bit.

Anyone suggest a method of stripping or at least dulling down the gold finish? Had wondered about maybe soaking the heads in Sulphuric acid for a while, but am not really sure how Ti might react to an acid.

Answers on a postcard please, or if you can't be bothered with that, just post something up here....
Old 26-Nov-2005, 17:00
Big Twin

With Titaniums tendency to "weld" itself to steel, I'd be worried about putting anything like that near them?

Anyway, anodising in an aluminium context is an oxidisation of the surface. If the Titanium has been finished in the same way then would you really be able to remove it without some kind of abrasive to remove the surface layer?

Just my thoughts.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 17:04
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by HW
With Titaniums tendency to "weld" itself to steel, I'd be worried about putting anything like that near them?

Anyway, anodising in an aluminium context is an oxidisation of the surface. If the Titanium has been finished in the same way then would you really be able to remove it without some kind of abrasive to remove the surface layer?

Just my thoughts.

Luckily none of the fastners are going anywhere near steel, so that's not a problem.

As for abrading the finish, possible if all else fails but a long old job.....

Would much prefer to do the job chemically.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 17:27

Titanium is resistant to dilute sulphuric and hydrocloric acid BUT sounds a very dangerous proceedure to try and remove it that way. Anodising is a chemical alteration of the metals surface.
See http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/tea/tea144.html for an article about anodising titanium. Apart from that, why would you want to anodise titanium anyway ?
Old 26-Nov-2005, 17:38
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveR Apart from that, why would you want to anodise titanium anyway ?

I don't want to anodise Ti, I want to remove it! The bike is held together with GOLD Ti and it's 'orrible. WOuld prefer a matt grey finish to this.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 18:02
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Just spray them with alloy wheel cleaner I sprayed some by mistake it removed the anodising a treat.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 18:06
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Depends if it is hard or soft anodising. Soft anodising comes of with baking soda and water solution. Try that first. If it doesn't work get them re-anodised by a reputable firm.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 18:19

I know this might sound like a daft question, are you sure they are Ti, they look the same as Ducati Performance items which are Ergal.
Sorry, wasn't implying that you wanted to anodise them, just wondering why ANYONE would want to?
P.S as a beginer on these forums, how do you insert quotes?
Old 26-Nov-2005, 18:19
Mille

Mood: counting
try out the conc sulpuhric on one and see if it works

can't beat a bit of boiling sulphuric
Old 26-Nov-2005, 18:54
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveR
I know this might sound like a daft question, are you sure they are Ti, they look the same as Ducati Performance items which are Ergal.

They definately Ti. I thought they were Ergal or alloy but Nelly and I removed one and tried to draw a file across it to see if it would cut. It just skidded, which would not happen with alloy