Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Feb-2005, 14:16
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
The figures for sales for the last year of 998 production and first year of 999 production were quoted by Ducati themselves in MCN and they were very happy with the 999 outselling it's predecessor.

I think the main reason for falling sales is the Japanese competition is getting much better , older blades and GSXR / ZXR 750's were similar performance to a 916 / 96 / 98 at a cheaper price , todays R1 / GSXR1000 / ZX10R are way ahead on power compared to a 999 and still a lot cheaper.

WSB is also no longer a big seller for bikes , as much as I thought (and still do) that Foggy is a complete pratt his success sold an awful lot of Ducatis , I think Rossi's popularity and TV coverage of MotoGP is doing for Honda and Yamaha now what WSB did for Ducati 10 years ago.

.......now , if we could just get Vale to ride a Desmosedici , then watch 'em fly out of the showrooms
Old 08-Feb-2005, 14:27
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Rattler
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Quote:
:

Tim

You must be the 996R's biggest fan.

I am, I was drooling over yours only yesterday!!! Handbuilt engines, world championship winning, rarer than a Desmo Due tyre decision!! - fabulous. Wanna sell it?

Yours just needs a good clean!! Oh yeh, and some forks!!!

Tim

Were you up at Nellys yesterday? What were you upto?

It does need a clean but no point in doing that before Neil puts his oily fingerprints all over it, it'll get minted up on its return.

Shock and forks are away at KAIS at the moment, roll on full service, fresh suspension and better weather.

Sorry, no i don't want to sell it BUT if you fancy a SPS............................................... .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-Feb-2005, 14:38
Big Twin

Anyone see Shallow Hal t'other night?
Old 08-Feb-2005, 14:39
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
How much for the SPS?
Old 08-Feb-2005, 14:39
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
very true.
Old 08-Feb-2005, 15:01
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
How much for the SPS?

£7995.

In fact the man in the next office wants it for a bit more with the helibars fitted but he can't flog his R1.

Bike sales should pick up in the spring so it will go in the next few months. Did your 996R go to Adam, reading between the lines in a few postings or am i barking (mad) up the wrong tree?
Old 08-Feb-2005, 15:12
Mille

to answer the point on a steering differences on the 999 it feels lighter and more flickable on the road but becomes heavy when turning hard at speed on the track, whereas the 998 although apearing to take more effort at road speeds the steering is consistant at higher speeds and faster/harder inputs. I discussed this when the 999 came out with jamie wilkins(journalist) and Paul young and they felt the apparent lower effort was due to the bars being higher and slightly wider allowing greater leverage whilst in a normal riding position. the 998 steers perfectly well if you countersteer correctly with the correct body position, the 999 handlebar position and width allows adequate levaerage even with poor body position and therefore lower leverage that a road riding position requires.
For a faster turn in on iether bike fit metzer racetech? the replacement for rennesports I fitted a set (190/120) to the 999 and the rear tyre has and extremely high profile, so much so that I had to space my hugger and it felt almost twitchy untill I wound up the steering damper a bit.

dave
Old 08-Feb-2005, 16:36
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Quote:
How much for the SPS?

£7995.

In fact the man in the next office wants it for a bit more with the helibars fitted but he can't flog his R1.

Bike sales should pick up in the spring so it will go in the next few months. Did your 996R go to Adam, reading between the lines in a few postings or am i barking (mad) up the wrong tree?

She did go to Adam and I'm regretting it!!!
Old 08-Feb-2005, 18:26
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVE HARRIS
to answer the point on a steering differences on the 999 it feels lighter and more flickable on the road but becomes heavy when turning hard at speed on the track, whereas the 998 although apearing to take more effort at road speeds the steering is consistant at higher speeds and faster/harder inputs. I discussed this when the 999 came out with jamie wilkins(journalist) and Paul young and they felt the apparent lower effort was due to the bars being higher and slightly wider allowing greater leverage whilst in a normal riding position. the 998 steers perfectly well if you countersteer correctly with the correct body position, the 999 handlebar position and width allows adequate levaerage even with poor body position and therefore lower leverage that a road riding position requires.
For a faster turn in on iether bike fit metzer racetech? the replacement for rennesports I fitted a set (190/120) to the 999 and the rear tyre has and extremely high profile, so much so that I had to space my hugger and it felt almost twitchy untill I wound up the steering damper a bit.

dave

Great info again. Thanks
Have you ever fitted a 180 rear tyre on any of them?
I think it must be great for the track, especially if it's a twisty track.
Old 08-Feb-2005, 18:37
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by DucSoon?
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVE HARRIS

dave

Great info again. Thanks
Have you ever fitted a 180 rear tyre on any of them?
I think it must be great for the track, especially if it's a twisty track.

A 180 rear is a must really - unless you're running a 6ich rim.

Tim