Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Mar-2004, 18:43
Montjuic

Suspension settings??

Ok - I know I am probably going to get a bit of a lecture on this requiring a lot of time and patience in setting up but I think you probably have to have a reasonable amount of experience and I've only been riding a year!

To give you an idea, I'm about 12st, occassionally carry a pillion of about 9st (you never find out exactly!!) and have a set of Dunlop 207rr's fitted - the rear is 180 which is not standard. I've only been on a shortish rideout since having them fitted after having not ridden for a few weeks. I haven't touched the suspension so would guess they are standard but have an MCN set up guide for an ST4 (mine is an ST2).

The bottom line is almost every review I've seen says that practically all Ducatis are poorly set up as standard - don't get me wrong I'm no road racer or track day god but if anyone can suggest some changes that might be beneficial without being completely radical it would be appreciated.

Can't say I get much time not working so if I'm looking for a quick and easy fix that simply isn't there - just say so!!
Old 08-Mar-2004, 09:08
Ducati Corse

Simon, why did you go for a non standard rear? The RR's are the very sticky ones arent they? I'm guessing that they have a racier shape than standard 207's which willmake the bike quicker steering but less stable in a straight line.
I run my bike on standard setting but with max rear preload and one click less front compression. I'm a couple of stone heavier than you and its running on standard size D208's. To my mind it handles fine solo and two up.
I'm going to fiddle with rear ride height though and i need to twiddle with the front cos my zip tie indiactes that i'm not getting full travel.
Old 08-Mar-2004, 22:37
Montjuic

Why change the rear? When I went on a rideout with the BHC Keefboy and Marco told me to ditch the original tyres and get some 207rr's!! I didn't realise the sizes were different til I found a pair at a bargain price at the end of year BMF but have a feeling Jools has them fitted. Just seemed that with that change I probably ought to be changing something else???
Old 09-Mar-2004, 23:22
500SD

Mood: happy
Hello Simon, The tyres you have fitted should be fine. The ST4 and the ST4S use that section rear tyre.If anything the bigger rear will slow the steering.(so MCN says).The rr's will take a little longer to warm up than the standard 207's but once warm will give more grip.(ask Jools)
I run Standard 207's on my ST4 and find that give good grip last well and can be had for good price when bought in pairs.
I'm sure they used to be a section on the ducati.com web site reguarding suspension set up, but iv'e looked and cannot find it if i do find it i'll let you know.
You could have a word with jools he's done most things to his ST2 and that goes round corners as if on rails.(but not at rockingham)
Old 13-Mar-2004, 14:43
Montjuic

Thanks Marko

Jools - now you're back any hot tips on how to get it to run like its on rails? Like change the rider??
Old 13-Mar-2004, 14:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
asked the same question of jools. he sent me these settings in a u2u
MCN did some work on the ST4 (exactly the same chassis and suspension) and came up with:

Front preload, 7 turns from hard
Front compression, 11 clicks from hard
Front rebound, 9 clicks from hard
Rear preload, 7th notch from soft (that's max then - Jools)
Rear compression,1/4 turn from hard
Rear rebound,3/4 turn from hard
Ride height,2 turns clockwise.
Tyre pressures(cold),F 32psi,R 34psi
Old 13-Mar-2004, 14:56
Montjuic

Thanks Glyn I'll give it a shot!!
Old 13-Mar-2004, 18:05
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
How to make an ST corner on rails? Nice of you guys to think I'm adept at it, I'm not so sure that I always get it right.

Modesty aside the rider does have much more to do with cornering a bike than a driver steering a car so riding a lot, in all weathers, helps develop a nice smooth style.

What I try and do is get the entry speed into corners right, get off the brakes, let the front end settle for a split second, and from the moment I tip it in and aim for the apex I'm trying to roll the throttle on progressively until its wide open again at the exit. If you can't do this you've picked the wrong line, or gone in too hot. I don't always get it right, but the CSS took me from getting it right about 30% to about 80% - you might notice I also go in a bit deeper into the turn than some people before I tip it in, but not as deep as they teach you at CSS (not on the road anyway - still try to go in very deep on the track).

So suspension, well, mines set up pretty much as the MCN settings. The only difference is that I've only got the rear preload on 5 notches, but I've got the rear ride height stupidly high. I started out with the MCN settings and found that the rear tyre was just on the ground. Felt pretty good at that. Then I got a deal on a set of 207RR's with a 180 instead of a 170, which I thought might slow the steering a bit, so while the wheel was out I put another turn of ride height on. Now the bike turns OK but it's far too high, both sides of the centre stand only just touch the floor and the bike sways when it's on the stand. On the side stand it leans over a loooooong way, and since I put the Corbin seat on it, I'm on tiptoes at a standstill.

The front end needs tweaking as well. It was sort of OK, not perfect, a little lacking in feel. Since it was serviced at Nelly's place the front feels a bit different. Since the service includes a fork oil change, I suspect that my old fork oil was losing viscosity (which happens over time as the long molecular chains get chopped up) and so I had set my compression and rebound up to compensate for clapped out lower viscosity oil. Now there's some fresh stuff in there it feels a bit overdamped and the front end patters quite a bit on uneven corners. I think I'll take a click of rebound off, see how that feels.

The biggest difference is tyres. When I get a superbike to go alongside the ST, then the old girl can be returned to touring mode with Bridgestone 020's or something like that on. Until then, it's going to stay more sports oriented than an ST2 has got any right to be (within reason, the old girl couldn't do justice to a set of Rensports). I'm not entirely happy on 207RR's. Nothing wrong with them, I'm not sure of the feel though and I don't have the confidence in them that I had with Bridgestones 010's. I suppose I should go back to Bridgestone 010's because I've got a spare front tyre that had only done 800 miles when the 207's went on. But that can wait, I think I'll try a pair of Diablos next 'cos I've heard good things about them, and when your riding style has to rely on corner speed to keep with the 996's and 999's on rideouts, you need tyres as sticky as they get.
Old 14-Mar-2004, 16:04
Montjuic

Jools/ Glyn

How do you set front rebound and compression? Can't find anything in the user manual and I thought they weren't adjustable on the ST2. Am I missing a trick??
Old 14-Mar-2004, 16:53
Ducati Corse

Front rebound is the brass slot headed things that are sticking out of the top of the forks. Compression is reached via a small screwdriver up the bottom of each fork leg (assuming the previous owner has put the wheel spindle back in the right way)
The ST2 has the same adjustments on the front as the 4 and the 4S i think, my old one certainly did.
You can download the owners manual from www.ducati.com if you want.