Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Jul-2004, 12:02
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
SPS Starting Woes

Is there a knack that I'm missing to starting a 996SPS when it's been standing for anything more than a day?

It turns, and coughs and wheezes fine, but takes about 7 or 8 attempts to actually get started, by which point I'm sure the battery and starter wiring are getting ready to throw in the towel!!!!

Is there something I need to do to make this easier, or is this another bit of 'character' that has to be lived with?

When it's warm it starts fine (once you get the engine to actually turn over...that starter motor doesn't half struggle!).
Cheers

Giles
Old 06-Jul-2004, 12:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Is the motor turning over slowly? If so, providing the battery is in good nick then the sprag clutch could be wearing.
If the motor is turning over OK, then maybe a little tweak on the adjuster at the twistgrip to give the cold start button a bit more pull may help. What's the tickover like on the cold start? 1300-1500 rpm should be plenty.
Old 06-Jul-2004, 13:22
Mille

Starter

Nelly,

It turns fairly slowly to start with then picks up speed after the first revolution (or stops altogether - at which point I release the button ASAP and try again!).

Ticks over at about 1300-1500 on the cold start button.

If it's the sprag clutch what's the cost likely to be - if it's not too bad then I'll get it done to see if it sorts out the problem.
Cheers

Giles
Old 06-Jul-2004, 14:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

An owner of a new 996R on the Ducati List was experiencing similar behavior and was able to sort it by replacing the starter and battery cables with 6 gauge wiring. His solution also cured the problem for a number of owners who were experiencing starting problems. He took orders and made up $30 custom wiring sets for them and plans to market them on eBay soon. U2U me for details. You could try using a set of battery jumper cables between the battery - engine ground and battery - starter motor to see if there's a significant improvement. My guess is there will be.

The connection to the starting motor is another possible problem source as well. The rubber boot covering the connection collects water and causes corrosion. Try disassembling and cleaning it.
Old 06-Jul-2004, 14:23
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Not sure if its connected, but on mine, the immobiliser disables the fuel injection system seperately.

So when I start mine, I have to turn the ignition on, (no lights come on as sh'es immobilised) then use the immobiliser key fob to enable the ignition, this seems to prime the injectors but not properly? Then I turn her off and on again, (no need to use the immobiliser this time) which then whirrs the fuel pump over again.

Then she starts fine, if I don't turn her off and on again after de-immobilising, she's a bugga to start.

Just an idea!
Timink:
Old 06-Jul-2004, 14:31
Mille

Ahhhh....

Tim,

Sounds like you've got a Meta alarm the same as mine!

I've just tried the double priming technique and it caught first time - result.

Shazaam,

It still seems reluctant to turn the engine over quickly though, so I'll see if the heavier gauge wire option speeds things up a bit.

Cheers chaps!

G

[Edited on 6-7-2004 by Clippy]
Old 06-Jul-2004, 22:32
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
my 916sps turns over slowly first go, and I have to start with no throttle at all until it catches, then QUICKLY chuck on the choke! Seems to work ok tho (touching wood!) Isnt it something to do with the high compression engine??
Old 06-Jul-2004, 22:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
In the 5 months that i've had my 996sps it has stood upto 2 weeks without running and first attempt it always struggles to start, even after as little as a single night but once it's been started it fires up almost instantly during that day whilst warm.

I'm as technically skilled as Nelly or Shazaams toenail but hope the cumulative experience helps