Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 14-Apr-2006, 19:52
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
starting problems....

had my sps serviced recently and havent started much since, noticed it is more diffuclt to start since the service and the idle is too low...spoke to dealer who said bring it back when you have tried it and we'll sort it (nothing less than I expect from these top guys!)...

mot tomorrow so, fully charged batt and it starts....leave for couple of hours and cant start it now!! just turning over with the ocsional splutter..fully flattened batt...on charge again now...hope it starts tomorrow and make me think I shouldnt use sunday

any ideas? fuel is ok, new spark plugs were fitted as part of service, I have altered the idle but nothing else....
Old 14-Apr-2006, 20:11
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Bradders I been having the same sort of trouble with my 996. First of all can you check the voltage across the battery . Fully charged you should be in the 12.75v or even 13v When you start her up you will pull a far bit of power from the battery. You only need to drop the volts down to 11 75 before the battery is as good as dam it flat.
If you can put a meter across the terminals to see firstly if the voltage is at least holding above 12.75 and when you start her up it should read 13.50v even 14v. If not check the connector blocks behind the battery thats the ones from the altenator (2/3 yellow cables depending what year yours is) I ended up fitting a new reg/rectifier to my 996 . No problems now.
Old 14-Apr-2006, 20:29
Ducati Corse

How did you adjust the idel bradders?

I thought i was adjusting the idle on our monster, turned out to be the balance screw.

Nelly sorted it!
Old 14-Apr-2006, 21:16
500SD
Bikes: Diavel

I know this is obvious but I had trouble starting my SPS if it missed first time for quite a while even though it lives on optimate all year round, I'd go out and it was fine when the engine warmed up so I put it down to compression or something. Anyway after multiple starts and no optimate on and off the ferry to Assen last year battery went totally flat, bump started it and the battery wouldn't accept any charge on the way up to Assen - had to bump it at every stop! So I got a new battery on it in Assen and problems solved, it must've been a failing battery all along and the optimate was disguising the fault by giving me just enough power to cope with a Sunday ride out etc. Just a thought....
Old 15-Apr-2006, 10:04
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
cheers guys, could be batt I spose as its always going flat then getting recharged.

hopper - at the front right of the engine, where the throttle cable connects, there is a screww which opens or closes the throtttle a bit, thats what I changed...
Old 15-Apr-2006, 10:11
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

how old is the battery ? yesterday I started mine went out for a 20 mile ride stopped for a couple of hours at friends then it wouldnt start, hardly enough juice to illuminate the neutral and ignition lights. Left it there on the optimate overnight and the green light is on the optimate this morning so hopefully it will start later when i go to collect. The bike and battery are only 20 months old, should i just fit a new battery ?