Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 08-Sep-2005, 13:32
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by swannymere
[I was working in US when he died and couldn't get a copy of the NME with the tribute , don't suppose anyone kept it did they??

I think i've got a copy somewhere,if i can find it i'll let you know,you can't keep it but i'll let you borrow it.

I met John at my first Glastonbury.I had listened to his show on the wednesday and he'd said he hated it when people shouted at him but did'nt come over and say hello.So when my mate and i saw him on the thursday evening,it was too good an opportunity to miss.We staggered over and intrduced ourselves and had a chat about what bands we were going to see,he insisted we see Lonnie Donegan.Lucky we did because he passed away about a year later.Top bloke,we even made him late for his radio show because he seemed genuinely interested in our opinions about certain bands.Sadly missed [/quote]

Ooh, that really would be appreciated, I kept going into the Virgin megastore when i was there as it was only place that ever had NME but for whatever reason that issue never made it onto the newstand, when I got home it was off the shelves as well. I'd make sur eit gets returned.

John Peel had more influence than any band, the BBC tribute night really brought that home, must get it copied onto DVD when i can work out how to get it transferred from a Sky + box
Old 08-Sep-2005, 13:41
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H
Neither have the NME or a recording of the tribute. Have covered a few Clash songs over the years and used to play the Ramones Blitzkreig Bop in another band. Used to cover the Dolls Jet Boy and Looking for a Kiss. Saw the Ramones but never saw The Clash. Was introduced to Floyd many years ago by a mates older brother who smoked funny smelling roll ups in the dark while listening to Dark side of the Moon. I still listen to them now but only the stuff before Roger Waters went his own way. Love 1970s Aerosmith before they started with all that polished radio friendly Love in an Elevator type stuff! Early REM likewise I saw them play in a Manchester club 20 odd years ago, I think Murmur was just about to be released at the time. Don't really listen to their later stuff, I think Monster was their last Album I liked. Velvet Underground we used to play a cover of Femme Fatale, they did some great tunes.

One of my old schoolmates dad was in business with Phil Mccintyre who used to be a promoter for a lot of bands in the 70s and 80s. We used to get on the guest list for any band we wanted to see which left us both with pretty wide ranging tastes in music. One night we would be stood at the front at a Jam gig and the next we would be watching some heavy metal band Ian Gillan or suchlike. Seen some truly terrible bands Magnum? Spider? Budgie? More? Saxon?!

Also some great bands that vanished into obscurity, Hoodogurus were an Aussie group who deserved to last a little longer than they did.

Gizmo I have included a nice pic of John Peel for you!

Can't recall how many times I saw the Clash, its got to be about 20 I think. That period of time was spent just going to gigs almost every night, like you some good the majority bad.

Theres so many bands with talent who end up giving up, its the problem with the music industry, its not about talent but how your records get distributed and sold. Downloads and internet sales make it a lot easier, i can buy CD's from all over the World even if they don't have UK distribution, it presents a problem all of its own now when I've got so much to listen to and not enough time

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit