Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 09-Nov-2005, 00:10
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
gaz

I certainly did not mean to denigrate anybody.

The points I made were in response to stefs comments that the country needs nurses doctors and teachers as though that is an option for most working class lads, including myself. Neither I nor my friends who joined the army had the academic ability and therefore '' intelligence '' that implies to take on those sort of jobs.

We were pointed towards ''ordinary'' jobs like our dads had, and not the sort of jobs that would pay us £30,000 - £100,000+ ( I'll probably upset someone else now )

Anyway I was once told by a traffic cop that I had only had three brain cells after I took him on the inside going round a roundabout on my KH250 triple ( One brain cell per cylinder he said ) No sense of humour coppers I reckon he was just upset that I was faster than him

Night night

Phil
Old 09-Nov-2005, 00:16

Quote:
Originally posted by gaz3014
Quote:
Originally posted by stef
Ariel,
by conscript war, i meant that the majority of combat was fought by conscripts, as opposed to a war of professional soldiers.. fair enough, the vast majority of those didnt really have a clue about what was going on, in terms of who was fighting who, and what for. But both my grand parents did (or at least they pretended to).
I personally disagree that the profession of soldier is an honorable one. fighting an honorable war is different. a soldier surenders himself to be used and abused. that's how i see it anyway. I am not saying they are bad folks either...

and you are right, blair's decision did cloud the issue, but the millitary remains what it is, a government tool. it was abused. but then, we live in a democracy, we cannot, as a nation, blame everything on blair, he was elected...and reelected.

Ian,
you are going off a little ;-)
i could just say that the IRA, mafia, basques separatists, corsicans and other greek communists have blown more things up than people seem to remember. they are not arabs or muslims... people always need something to put their insecurity on, it was UFOs in the 50s, this time round, it's on the arab. it's human nature. it helps to focus the fear on something tangible, and that in itself is rearuring. just take it easy !

Sorry Stef, but youv'e gone too far!!! Like it or not, there are weak people and strong people. FACT!!! Therefore, if it wasn't for people like me defending, or ready to defend people like you, I wonder what sort of life you would have???? When the Falklands was invaded, what did you think?? "Oh well, lets see if we can talk them into changing there minds, and leaving"!!!!! Yeah, right!!

Oh, and I wasn't pointing at Muslims alone. One way or another, differant beliefs come into every conflict in history.

Catholics/protestants.
So called arian race.
communism/democracy.
muslims/christians

The list goes on!!

Who do you think maintains democracy. Debate???

So dont go disrespecting those who have given the ultimate sacrifice, for what you enjoy. And I dont mean my generation. I hope I'm wrong but that is the impression i'm getting from you.

I wont be coming back to this thread, cos some people are talking b&*"!"&ks, and it's getting too far!!!

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by gaz3014]

Gaz, before you go off, i wasnt really replying to your post directly. the muslim comment was more on relation to ian's.
and i am not direspecting anyone. i have a lot of respect for people who fight for something they beleive in, if that something is just. I have little respect/ indifference for people who are not really sure what they morally fight for.
if the modern professional army has fallen to a level where it's only a muscle for hire, it maybe wise considering a career change. or put it this way: if we were ruled by g.w. bush.. would you enroll ? end of thread for me.
Old 09-Nov-2005, 02:08
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Awwwwwwwwwwwww.................that was good. Nice lively debate....better than boring Ducati's!!!!!!!
Old 09-Nov-2005, 09:44
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Davieravie
Awwwwwwwwwwwww.................that was good. Nice lively debate....better than boring Ducati's!!!!!!!

Yeah, shame, I was getting into it......pity that spen did not want to comment anymore....mind you, he must be a busy bloke what with all those trees to hug & making his "NO WAR FOR OIL" banners for the next "anti anything thats going" demo......
Old 09-Nov-2005, 11:28
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
i disagree.
if you want to get all statistical, checkout the US: relax gun laws, 4 times the population (roughly) but 300 times the number of people killed by firearms (28 000 people !!!), fair enough, half of them were suicides... still, scary numbers.
http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

http://www.crimeinfo.org.uk/servlet/...ory=factsheets

only 97 people were shot dead in the uk in one year. so a small number of dead people is a big purcentage increase. this increase is mainly due to other crimes increasing, related to firearms, i.e: gang, drugs etc..not really your average joe type of thing. and i dont know how many of those were suicides...it could well be that their was 2 times less hand guns lying around, and 2 time less homicides, but 4 times more people got depressed and decided to shoot themselves..stats are a funny thing. especially in the hand of professional spinners !

"it doesnt work and never will"
it worked in nz:
http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/gunaus.htm

but this is a completely different topic...seriously, we live in a crowded place, with tensions between comunities..do you really believe that allowing people to keep firearms is a good idea ?
I have seen places in the states where you just walk into a superstore, JJB type of thing, and get out with some serious piece... pretty handy for a road rage situation !

I've kept and responsibly used guns for over 35 years and I get really fed up of listening to all the crap about more and more restrictions being put on the general public in a vain attempt to control what is already criminal activity. All gun crime is illegal at the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, the penalties should be much harsher and responsible people should be allowed to get on with their lives without petty legislation at every turn.

Sorry UP if its off topic but debates like this do tend to wander a bit at times.
Old 09-Nov-2005, 12:23
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul James
Quote:
i disagree.
if you want to get all statistical, checkout the US: relax gun laws, 4 times the population (roughly) but 300 times the number of people killed by firearms (28 000 people !!!), fair enough, half of them were suicides... still, scary numbers.
http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm

http://www.crimeinfo.org.uk/servlet/...ory=factsheets

only 97 people were shot dead in the uk in one year. so a small number of dead people is a big purcentage increase. this increase is mainly due to other crimes increasing, related to firearms, i.e: gang, drugs etc..not really your average joe type of thing. and i dont know how many of those were suicides...it could well be that their was 2 times less hand guns lying around, and 2 time less homicides, but 4 times more people got depressed and decided to shoot themselves..stats are a funny thing. especially in the hand of professional spinners !

"it doesnt work and never will"
it worked in nz:
http://www.converge.org.nz/pma/gunaus.htm

but this is a completely different topic...seriously, we live in a crowded place, with tensions between comunities..do you really believe that allowing people to keep firearms is a good idea ?
I have seen places in the states where you just walk into a superstore, JJB type of thing, and get out with some serious piece... pretty handy for a road rage situation !

I've kept and responsibly used guns for over 35 years and I get really fed up of listening to all the crap about more and more restrictions being put on the general public in a vain attempt to control what is already criminal activity. All gun crime is illegal at the risk of stating the bleedin obvious, the penalties should be much harsher and responsible people should be allowed to get on with their lives without petty legislation at every turn.

Sorry UP if its off topic but debates like this do tend to wander a bit at times.

Ahh, but they know you couldnt hit a toffee from 1/2 a yard Paul!
Old 09-Nov-2005, 19:45
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Maybe someone should have told these pigeons Andy ? :P

[Edited on 9-11-2005 by Paul James]

Old 09-Nov-2005, 19:51
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul James
Maybe someone should have told these pigeons Andy ? :P

Bet they took some carrying back home
Old 09-Nov-2005, 21:00
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Luckily we were able to drive the 4x4 right up to the hide, would have been knackered if we had to carry them off the field. To be fair I didn't shoot them all, I was with my shooting mate but still a good bag !!
Old 09-Nov-2005, 21:45
Montjuic

Mood: On the edge
Quote:
Originally posted by philthy
gaz

I certainly did not mean to denigrate anybody.

The points I made were in response to stefs comments that the country needs nurses doctors and teachers as though that is an option for most working class lads, including myself. Neither I nor my friends who joined the army had the academic ability and therefore '' intelligence '' that implies to take on those sort of jobs.

We were pointed towards ''ordinary'' jobs like our dads had, and not the sort of jobs that would pay us £30,000 - £100,000+ ( I'll probably upset someone else now )

Anyway I was once told by a traffic cop that I had only had three brain cells after I took him on the inside going round a roundabout on my KH250 triple ( One brain cell per cylinder he said ) No sense of humour coppers I reckon he was just upset that I was faster than him

Night night

Phil

Cheers Phil!! Sorry, I should have stepped off my soap box

Nice one about the bobby!!!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit