Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 09-Mar-2004, 20:33
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Is it in the blood?

I've talked about this to Dibble and a couple of friends and I reckon that to be a biker its in your blood. What do I mean by that?

Well, three examples to illustrate the point:-

1. Myself. My Dad had bikes because he couldn't afford a car, and whilst into bikes, he mostly laterlly rebuilt them. I got my first one at 17 and was forced to give it up at 28. Big gap and restarted 6 years ago after 12 years. Last August had a major off, after which i initially wanted nothing more to do with bikes. I've also had a friend killed, know of friends who have had severe accidents, and know of someone recently who's lost his leg and looks like more as well. Yet, much to people's astonishment I still do it? Why?

2. Friend of mine - very recently took up biking passed his test and bought a GSXR400 plus all the gear. He came across the guy mentioned above who lost his leg, who is his brother-in-law, and has now given up after three months max. He has sold his bike back to the shop at an £800 loss and is now looking to get rid of some new leathers and helmet. Why?

3. Psychlist - Paul I hope you don't mind me using you to illustrate my point. Paul had a major off on his way to Popham last year. His recovery was somewhat hampered by the hospitals that he has frequented over the last six months. However he has maintained his enthusiasm and has even put a date together for his innaugral ride. Why?

We all know of people who either been killed or injured, yet we still do it. We all know the risks and that is part of the reason why "outsiders" don'tlike us, because they cannot comprehend how we are willingto take the risk, whilst they sit securely in their metal boxes.

We all know why we ride bikes, yet its difficult to explain. It certainly isn't to pose - get a Harley to do that. It's in the blood and once you've got it, you can't escape it.
Old 09-Mar-2004, 21:28
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Interesting post Chris, I do think that being brought up in a biking inviroment does help,but when you think about it, as children we saw our parent take to the roads with out mishap (most of the time) so to us its Safe, our parents would'nt put us at risk ( would they)I was brought up with a 1000cc Arial Square Four attached to a home made side car that accomadated all four kids and all the camping kit. I can remember my old man running after a bus that had cut him up thumbing on the side of the bus trying to get the driver to stop so he could slap him one. No I would.nt do that
As for the pain of biking we must ask why do women go through child birth or the pain of tooth ache do we really remember pain, I dont think so, if we did then surely we would'nt go back to it.
They are some people that go through life not risking it either because there hav'nt got the same confidence or asteme that we may have. I think that's one of the factors why we all get on well together on a ride out and the buzz we all radiate on a track day, I got the same thing when I was chucking myself out of aircraft in the middle of the night twenty years ago, the risk is'nt there when you no what you are doing to some degree, that does'n mean the fears not there though.I had one incident that happened one night ,we we're dispatched from the aircraft together instead of one at a time from both sides of the plane we collided in the vortex of the aircraft and tangle up making our earthwards journey to fast for comfort,experiance told me not to pull the reserve shute for fear of colapsing what material was flying above us,we hit the ground twice I remember. I was glad of that cause it meant I was alive . A month later two lads experianced the same thing but one of then pulled the reserve and both were killed . It did'nt stop me from doing it many more times I think if it on the cards then its on the cards Maybe the risk is the key factor to biking after all . But the pleasure sure out weighs the risk and as we all no its what we do with the right wrist (trying to keep a straight face)that counts as to whether we survive or not. Regards 4D
Old 09-Mar-2004, 21:53
500SD

Mood: wobbly !!!
REBELLION
Its not in my family ! But rebellion is.
I was told at an early age that bikes were dangerous, and that I would not be getting one.
GUESS WHAT I BOUGHT FOR MYSELF ?
That was 27 years ago.
So that sort of doesnt work with your line of thought.
But what does is the fact that after a lay off I have come back to the one sport/past time that realy is part of me.
What ever the reasons is good to belong !
Kev (sober !)

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Red-leader]
Old 09-Mar-2004, 21:56
Dibble

Firstly, based on my maths Webby, you are 46 ..??? crikey .... does your missus know ..??? or did you lie ..???

Secondly ... i think you either "get it" or "you dont" with bikes. I grew up in a household where they were frowned upon, in fact after my uncle had a huge off in Switzerland they were forbidden, the basic rule was "buy a bike, find somewhere else to live" ... well I wriggled out of that, for the 1st year I had a bike I kept it in my uncles garage 5 miles from home, along with all my kit, and my parents only found out after i did finally move out of home, when my dad appeared unecpectadly at my new house and I was cleaning it ... i'm not sure what amused the neighbours more .... my dad turning up in the ice cream van, or the blazing row I was having in italian on my drive ... closely followed by having to placate two crying kids on my drive who wanted to know why "the ice cream man" had driven off before they had a chance to buy one .... but it hasnt stopped me ... my 996 is my 3rd bike and although i get frustrated with the whole thing at times, quite publicy, sorry, it only takes about 10 minutes in the saddle to realise what it all means .. from track days, to rideouts , to mountain passes in France ... its the isolation, togertherness, speed, sound and smell ....

and all the poeple you meet on the way ....

Pietro
Old 09-Mar-2004, 22:24
Mille

Mood: Shiney
All of the above is so true, I watched a programe on the goggle box several months back and It basically stated that there are two main groups of people those that sit at home and do only "safe things" and do there damdest to bugger up everybody elses life because they are a bit sad and the ones who go seeking adrenaline rushes ie: motorcycling snowboarding skydiving hangliding climbing etc, you get the picture, aparantly this activity releases some natural drug in the brain (can`t remember what it is) but this gives you a natural high and generaly doesnt turn you into a saddo because you enjoy life so much you don`t give a tosh about what anybody else is doing.

I think that makes sense.:sain t:
Old 09-Mar-2004, 22:39
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Yeah Mike that does make sense - perhaps it is a drug that bike manufacturers secretly build in. I must admit to being fascinated as to why we do it. Mainly because when you go to a bike meet there are so many different types there. You cannot point to anyone and say they are deffo a biker.

Dibble - let's say my 50th will be in 2007!!!! Whereas Hennners will be in a couple of weeks - partytime!!!!
Old 09-Mar-2004, 22:57
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Mike, I am reliably informed by Helen, that the drug released in us is an endorphin.... ( a feel good chemical ) and also adrenaline..... We must all be adrenaline junkies... I was brought up around bikes, first rode one when I was 15, owned one at 16, am now pushing 38 and the 999 is my 20th bike !!! I have had 5 accidents ( last one in 1991, best I touch loads of wood for that comment !!! ) Worst injury sustained was two broken legs !! Have only lost 1 friend on bikes ( one too many if you ask me ) My missus has been into bikes since she was 13 and used to see a guy pass her by on a TZR 250 when she was waiting for a bus.Her Dad was into bikes ( albeit only a BSA bantam ) She was mainly pillion despite having her own license as she prefers to put her life in the hands of people with more experience than her ( ???? ) She has had one little accident when she got the speed wobbles on my mini-moto and fell off in fantastic style ( and she was 30 weeks pregnant ! ) She has lost two friends to bikes, One of whom she was supposed to have been with the day he died, she changed her mind about going out with him 24 hours before he went out, a decision which saved her life !!!! She is still happy to get on a bike !! ( although having the 1 year old is a wee bit restrictive to her biking now ! )

We feel it really is in our blood and despite all the near misses we have had, we still come back for more

[Edited on 10-3-2004 by dave w]
Old 09-Mar-2004, 23:54
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.

I think it is in the blood too.

Good point.

My father was a motorcycle engineer, drag racer, speedway, grasstrack and motorcross rider back in the late/60s early 70s. All in the name of developement for the firm that he used to work at in London. So i was brought up on it. All i can say is that i will never forget the smell and sound of a supercharged V twin Vincent running on Methonol with no silencers at Santa pod about to run up the drag strip!!Or the 500 JAP engined speedway bike. Again, with no silencer. those were the days and i was only 4 or 5 years old.

I was raised on bikes and have nearly always had one. I just can not let them go. And believe me i have tried several times. Thing is i have always wanted a Ducati from the first time i laid eyes on the 916. Now i have one i think its the best bike i have ever owned. And im not just saying that!!!

Aint life great!!!!!
Old 10-Mar-2004, 00:10
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
when i turned 16 i lived that far out in the sticks that if you wanted to go anywhere or get a job you had to get a bike.
one pub and a postbox in the village.
so on me 16th birthday i got an ap 50 and the thrill and freedom of that bike started the blood thing there and then.

me dad did have an mz 250 when i was little though
used to take me on the back in a field when i was about 6 or 7 it might have started then.
i'll never forget that little ap50 though
Old 10-Mar-2004, 00:26
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Is it in the blood?

Well my dad was mad on bikes before i was born but sold them when my elder brother came along.

My dad died when i was 4 so no direct influence. When big brother got his first bike and all his mates were into bikes i just couldn't wait to get one as well.

It just seemed so exciting and after travelling everywhere by bus as i grew up, the sense of freedom was brilliant. Any excuse to ride anywhere.

My mum was horrified that both sons had bikes, especially as 2 close friends were killed in quick succession (both on the pillion of the same rider!!!!!!!!!!!)

Mum payed for car lessions, i passed car test then didn't drive a car for 5 years.

Bikes always have been, and still are a real passion. I would take summers off from despatching and ride to Greece for a holiday. I've also been incredibly lucky that i could make my living for the last 24 years from being involved with bikes and have never been without a bike for the last 28 years.

So yes i think it can be in the blood although for many more people it is a transient stage.

For me its a combination of the freedom to explore and travel,along with the exhilaration of speed and performance, combined with the camaraderie. Even if i don't get out on the bike, i'll always spend a few minutes in the garage each day, and come to the same inescapable conclusion...thank god its not yellow

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit