Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Sep-2005, 00:10
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
been loaned a Fila 999r for a week ..... awesome

So, last night I found myself in an enviable position, I have been loaned an official late 2004 Ducati 999r Fila rep for a week to “give it a go”. It’s in standard trim with the Termi, open pipes and race ECU, that is if this bike could ever be described as standard.

I normally ride a 2003 749s which has been modified with acres of carbon, race can, pipe, ECU and a few other mod’s. I love the 749 and consider it to be a great bike that is hard to beat.

I’m sat on the 999 wondering why it was the best part of £12,000 more than my 749. My first ride out was in rush hour traffic, for around 10 mile and never got above 3rd. Not overly impressed and could not see what all the fuss was about.

This morning I went out again and this time found a few open roads …. Riding along in second and third I’m comparing the speed to the 749 and feel like I should be changing up, a quick glance at the clocks show 6,000rpm and the bike is only just starting to pull, OK, now starting to think that there may be something about 999.

I find a few corners and now the whole thing starts to make sense. Now I’m not the best guy on corners but the 999r installs so much confidence it’s over whelming. The bike drops in so easy, changes direction without any fuss and gives you a feeling that 1 minute you’re thinking about going around the corner and the next moment the corners gone and your looking for the next one. I’m sure the Ohlins and forged wheels all help.

Planning a good ride out tomorrow and wondering how much time I can get off work this week so I can spend as much time as possible on the 999r.

Is it worth £12,000 more than the 749s (at the time), NO. Is it an awesome bike …. Ooooo yea.

Now where is the brochure for the 2004 999’s
Old 04-Sep-2005, 07:40
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Having had my 04 999R since June this year I appreciate your comments and felt exactly the same on my first few weeks out on it ,

After having the suspension set up and changing the standard Michelin pilot race tires it came with, for Pirelli Diablo's it was a whole new experience again
Old 04-Sep-2005, 10:42
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Old 04-Sep-2005, 12:17
Big Twin

Mood: High as a kite!
How did you swing that,who do i have to s***
Old 04-Sep-2005, 21:35
Montjuic

You describe the handling exactly as I'd describe my 749 Biposto's, but is the engine worth the extra money or would I be better off getting a big bore kit for mine when I want more. I generally find twins a bit tractor like, the 749 is the only one I like riding so far. I havn't ridden any other Dukes apart from an old 900ss which is another tractor.
Old 04-Sep-2005, 21:45
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Spanks,

I've heard very good things about the big bore kits but never tried one myself. I've had a 748 and 996 in the past, but, the 999r is whole new deal ..... very fast with little or no effort.

As for the handling I've been on the 749s for 2 years and love it, the 999r is definitely a step up in the handling stakes. Nothing wrong at all with the 749, but, the 999r is whole new ball game.

All that said I still can not see that when both bikes were new that the 999r was worth over £12,000 more than the 749s.
Old 05-Sep-2005, 10:50
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Bionicle
Having had my 04 999R since June this year I appreciate your comments and felt exactly the same on my first few weeks out on it ,

After having the suspension set up and changing the standard Michelin pilot race tires it came with, for Pirelli Diablo's it was a whole new experience again

Bionicle has hit the nail on the head, the R is a great bike but I know mine certainly did need setting up suspension wise, and mine never even turned a wheel on the tyres that came on the bike, after months of setting up, different springs front and rear the bike is transformed, 10, 20 times better than when I took delivery
Old 05-Sep-2005, 11:05
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:

Bionicle has hit the nail on the head, the R is a great bike but I know mine certainly did need setting up suspension wise, and mine never even turned a wheel on the tyres that came on the bike, after months of setting up, different springs front and rear the bike is transformed, 10, 20 times better than when I took delivery
i agree, needs setting up! more weight over the front to start with.
But i loved the pilot race2's!
Old 03-Jan-2006, 00:55
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I wouldn't be putting Pilot Race's or Diablos on a 999R. They just wouldn't do it justice. Try some Super Corsa Pro's and get them fully warmed up.
Old 03-Jan-2006, 10:22
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:

10, 20 times better than when I took delivery

although not necessarily 10,20 times quicker.......