Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 15-Feb-2005, 07:07
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
\'Pooter numpty question re. e-mail.

After a couple of years of dial up,I ve signed up for BT broadband.(keep quiet at the back!)
You dont get an e-mail address so I have opened a BT/Yahoo account.I understand this is a web based mail service and seems to be a bit fiddly to log on.It was a lot easier just to click on the mail icon.My question is,is there anyway I can still use Outlook Express?My old account is/was with Freeserve (now Wanadoo).I have left it open temporary while I get something sorted.
TIA
Old 15-Feb-2005, 07:51
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Keith,

I'm sure the real techies will be along later, but if you have an email address with Wanadoo and are still paying them the subs then you should be able to download your mail thru Outlook.

Even so, you should be able to download your BT/Yahoo mail via OE as others already are....see here http://forums.pcw.co.uk/thread.jsp?f...message=311955
Old 15-Feb-2005, 07:52
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
KB, so far as I know, you can only use a web-based email service with a browser (eg. Internet Explorer). Outlook/Express won't work with it.

Is your previous dial-up account a freebie one like Waitrose.com? Although I have broadband, I still have my Waitrose email address, it's free and I can use Outlook. Works for me.

Otherwise, you could search the Web for free email accounts, must be loads out there.

HTH!
Old 15-Feb-2005, 09:25
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Keefy, I use hotmail with Outlook Express. All you need to do is go to the 'tools' menu, then to 'email accounts', select the button so you either set up a new account or change an exisiting one, follow the instructions through and you should get to a page that allows you to choose the type of server (either a Microsoft exchange, POP3 etc...) all you need to do there is choose the http option and configure the hotmail account into it by typing in your email address and password.

Of course it depends what version of outlook you're on and I'm going by memory on the above, but it's not usually too much of a fiddle.
Old 15-Feb-2005, 12:34
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I have no experience of BT/Yahoo but Hotmail offers a POP3 and SMTP service whereby you can use OE so I would assume that Yahoo does as well ... might do a little crowsing on it later ...
Old 15-Feb-2005, 19:25
500SD

Mood: On top of the world
I have BT Yahoo email addresses on Outlook Express. Don't ask me how I did it I can't remember. My dial up provider kindly cut off access to previous email when I switched to BB - could receive email but not send it. The BT addresses cost about 1.50 a month and can be accessed from OE or from IE.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit