Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Jun-2006, 18:45

Sheared Barrel/Head Bolt!

Hi All, Woody here.
Only had my 10,000 mile 94' 900ss for 2 weeks and I've only just noticed one of the Barrel/Head Bolts on the Vertical Cylinder has sheared! . Luckily She still runs sweet and no apparent damage seems to have been done.
I've been told at work today that its a common fault with the 900 motor, is this true? ,if it is, was it ever acknowledged by Ducati and Recalled?
My main question is though, Has anyone got any useful hints or tips for me if I plan to do it myself?. Thanks all. Woody.
Old 28-Jun-2006, 20:51
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Yep - shame, sadly its common enough for uprated / performance headstuds to have evolved:

http://www.nicholsmfg.com/ducati-parts.html

Not sure about the recall mind, would it really be a safety related issue?

Good luck - Frank
DSC Webteam
Old 29-Jun-2006, 17:33

Thanks Frank for your support and advice. Just checked the link you sent me and it says the studs they sell are ideal for engines running higher than normal compression. Are there any available that would suit a stock motor or would you recommend these anyway?
Thanks again for your time Frank, I plan to start the strip down this weekend!
Old 29-Jun-2006, 18:37
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Buy them from your Ducati dealer. The ones you had fitted originally were prone to snapping but the replacements will be of a new design that doesn't break. The originals (breaking ones) were silver and the newer better replacements are black (I'm pretty sure I've got that the right way round).

Use plenty of heat when you try to remove the old studs (ie so much heat you reckon your cases are about to melt down) and work them backwards and forwards with wd40 or similar.. Chances are they'll be "tight" and will let go with an almighty crack.

Change all 8 while you're there 'cos if you don't sods law say's you'll be dropping the engine again in 6 months to do another vertical one...

Darren
Old 29-Jun-2006, 19:05

Cheers Darren. My wife and I are off to Ducati Norwich on sat to pick her new S2R1000 up (b**ch ) and ill ask then.
Thanks again, i'll keep you all posted.