Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Mar-2005, 10:50

ST4 S ABS exhausts

Hi , I am very soon to join the Ducati brigade , am in the process of buying an 04 ST4 s ABS over here in Tokyo . I know ther are varoius posts before on this subject but I am still unsure . I am looking to fit carbon exhausts and am very unclear on the chip needs ( my japanese certainly doesn't stretch to it ) . The full Ducati system is quite expensive , so I have been looking at other sites . Having used Wolf racing before I am toying with these , has anyone used them /can recommend them . Theysay you do not need to rechip the bike , can anyone one confirm , previous posts seem to imply it would always be necessary to rechip if changing the system . Any other recommendations . Thanks all
Old 01-Mar-2005, 20:20
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
I have SilMoto carbon oval cans on my 4S - good quality at a sensible price & nice noise too.
You can't "chip" the 4S as there isn't a removeable eprom chip in the ECU.
You may well get away without alterations...when I put Micron cans on my 900ssie the ecu compensated quite well and needed no alteration.
There are 3 options open to you.
First you can get your fuel mixture adjusted...this can be done using the ducati software that your dealer will have.
Next option is to go for an add on such as the Power Commander or Techlusion TFI ( that's what I have on mine - only because it was free though :P )
Finally you can buy a race can ECU ( these come with some of the DP systems, hence the price..) from either Ducati or FIM in Oz.
Hope this helps
Andy

[Edited on 1-3-2005 by Rushjob]
Old 03-Mar-2005, 11:04
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
As Andy says you don't chip it, but you can swap the entire ecu.

I brought the DP kit that included carbon cans, new ecu, different air filter & airbox cover, and a couple of sprockets. I rode the bike to the dealers with the cans & filter/cover on but standard ecu. Once the ecu was changed it was noticeably stronger from 5k all the way up the revs.
I'm sure the dealer (and Nelly too I think) told me you don't need to change the chip if you only change the cans, just alter the settings
as Andy has said.

The bike is loud. It is louder than my 998 with a full 55mm system. I believe though that from a riders perspective most of the noise is induction noise on the ST.

One more thought. BDG on here had a set of DP carbon cans for sale a while back (without chip). I'm not sure if he still has them, so might be worth a mail or U2U to find out.

You should also budget for a smaller front sprocket. This really does liven the bike up which is severely overgeared when standard.

Cheers,
John. (03 ST4S ABS )
Old 04-Mar-2005, 06:17

Thanks for your help
Old 10-Mar-2005, 09:37
500SD
Bikes: ST4S

So, another one of us in the land of Sushi and an ST4 rider to boot! So, you're going to wake the neighbors up. All 100,000 of them!