Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Mar-2004, 21:12
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
sps question...???

Ok - riden bike a couple of times and OMG its like a rocket!! and the handling...makes the 748 feel slow and twitchy

BUT...can't ride on a neutral throttle, ie smooth around a roundabout/corner/thru town/in traffic. It spits and judders unless I am either deccelarating or accelerating. No flat spots at all (and did I mention it pulls like a train) from less than 4k right thru, just smooth. It will cruise at 80 ok, but not much less!

Shop are doing all they can for me - tried different chips, (sp little better but lose the massive rush when the power comes in) fully set up to stop any flat spots etc, and I must admit if I had ridden before I probably would not have bought it ....but, is this normal for 916sps to behave like this? They have offered a half/half deal on an fim with full set up, will this cure it? (any experiences out there??) HELP..desperately want this bike but if it remains unridable for me under 80, may have to go...

ps - trust the garage when they say they have checked all the injectors, throttle etc and it is 'normal' but want second (or more) opinion
Old 22-Mar-2004, 21:15
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Its an SPS!!!

They're all like that and they're fantastic!

The early ones were known to stall on corners and roundabouts - fantastic!

Try increasing the tickover a bit!

Tim
Old 22-Mar-2004, 21:18
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
so, its hard into r/bout on brakes, and accel all way round and out?? need some practice then I think...
Old 22-Mar-2004, 21:19
Dibble

I dont have an SPS but the programmable FIM chips are excellent, I have one in my 996, in all honesty if that doesnt sort it, nothing will, might be worth a quick call to either Nelly at Cornerspeed or the techie guys at JHP ...

Good luck
Old 22-Mar-2004, 21:37
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Paul, I think you'd better pop round.... the only way to solve this is to let me take it out for a spin!

No, seriously, my 996 is similar although I'm sure not as extreme as your sps (you elitist, you!) cos mine's just a tuned up BIP. I'm still getting used to how the throttle kicks in and i've done about a thousand miles! But it's coming together.
I did wind my tickover up a little, as Rattler suggests and it seems to have stopped the stalling problems.

Just practice mate, it will come to you. I was thinking I'd made the wrong choice shortly after I bought mine but after riding it plenty and taking it on track I'd happily marry it now!!
Old 23-Mar-2004, 00:26
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Rattler summed it up when he said to me

996r goes like a train
996sps is like being hit by the train.

Mine is a 2000 model and will run pretty well at slow speeds, but always feels like its straining to get off the leash, and is such a contrast to my st4s. Jeckell and Hyde.

Rattler is right, they're a bit mad which is what makes it such fun. I can also understand Pguenet/Phillipe's enthusiasm for them. Addictive
Old 23-Mar-2004, 06:43
Ducati Corse

It seems that this is a direct result of the long stroke motor and 'lumpy' cams and is what turns a lot of folk on - you know you're riding a race bike with lights!

If you want smooth then the testastretta (996R-998) is the way to go.
Old 23-Mar-2004, 09:36
888 at Last !!!

I'd got for the half / half on an FIM. Did make a big difference to my bike when setup. Mine was done by Sigma and Neil took some time fiddling and tweeking areas until he was happy it was running correctly. Afterwards it was much more rideable at lower speeds.

If you can get it dyno'd as well and then mapped using the proper FIM software, you'll have it fully sorted.
Old 23-Mar-2004, 13:21
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
FIM UltiMap
Old 23-Mar-2004, 13:49
Mille

Annettes SPS had poor running at low rpm and a very jerky pick up as you opened the trottle from low rpm in corners. The basic set up was adjusted by different people and a new throttle position switch was fitted, the problem although less severe was still there. I investigated a noisy clutch and discovered the flywheel had come loose, refitted the flywheel and the bike is so much better at low rpm (i think the crank was wobbling and the timing reference sensors were not giving accurate signals). I have a 998R and although the R has loads more power than the sps it does not have the manic hit of the sps from 5000rpm. Everytime I borrow annettes bike I cannot believe how much fun it is to ride, I defy anyone to ride an SPS and not ride like a loon (Annette loves the acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear when it hits the real power). The only drawback is if you wheely on the throttle in first it just wants to flip you! not that I am any good at wheelies but the bike just makes you do it!!

The set up is JHP under tank filter and matching chip.

dave