Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2004, 11:44
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Replacing brake lines

Whats the easiest and least messy method/order of putting my new brakelines on,or rather getting the existing ones off.
Do I just open the bleed nipples and pump all the fluid out?,or just unbolt the banjo bolts at the bottom and catch any spillage as best I can?
Its actually for the ss,but I thought I'll get a quicker response here as the procedure will be the same.:P
Old 27-Mar-2004, 12:01
GTL

Just did that very thing.
I left the fluid in and had copious rags around connections. Wasn't too messy until I clipped the clutch lever and squirt...
I think this way it's easier to bleed the systems when their all connected up.

If you're unbolting master cylinders or calipers off, make sure to slightly loosen banjo bolts first. Having bleed nipples on master cylinders helps a lot.
Old 27-Mar-2004, 12:57
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Dave
Fully drain all of the fluid from the system you are working on b4 you start to undo the banjo`s, once empty replace with your new lines and fill and bleed the system.
To undo the banjo`s when the system is still full of fluid is plain stupid, you risk getting fluid on paint work etc which is not a good idea................and its bloody messy.

Good luck.
Old 28-Mar-2004, 11:56
GTL

Well, each to their own. All I can say is I replaced 3 brake and 1 clutch line without getting hydraulic fluid on the paint work. I guess even the "stupid" get lucky sometime...
Old 02-Apr-2004, 22:10
Mille

Seems a bit odd just to unbolt all the connections when it only takes a couple of minutes to bleed the system down!

After fitting the lines, try filling the system from the bleed nipple with a syringe, there by pushing all the air to the top (reservoir), which is the way it naturally wants to go.

Fitted a set of front lines to my zx last night in the time it took the misses to watch East Enders.