Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Jun-2003, 22:07
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

Ohlins steering damper?

This has probably been covered before but I've just replaced the stock damper on a 996 with an ohlins from harris. After fitting the yoke bracket it seems to have to much movement in the swivel joint.

The ohlins damper factory fitted on a 996S/R doesn't have this amount of free play, can the excess movement in the joint be altered in anyway?
Old 19-Jun-2003, 11:07
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
As weeksy says, this free play is normal as it happens on mine too. Nothing to worry about unless it annoys you
Old 20-Jun-2003, 20:56
Big Twin

Mood: happy
mine moved to the point where by it started touching the tank. so i put a rubber o ring in and that cured the problem.
Old 20-Jun-2003, 21:36
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 996R and MV Agusta F4 1000R

Anybody had any luck with an alternative mounting bracket. Failing that it will have to be the o ring.
Old 29-Mar-2004, 09:54
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
Fitted the harris kit with my onlins damper using their bolts and washer/o-ring and the opposite has happened the damper bracket hardly moves at all compared with the standard ducati fitment. what does the bracket look like i think i they have sent me the wrong clamp it looks nothing like the original one. which ever way i try it using their bolts it dont move and the ducati stuff (washer bolt/oring) won't screw into the yoke
Old 29-Mar-2004, 10:44
888 at Last !!!

Mine was the same Nigel. I looked at the standard Ohlins fitting and it has a slightly different bracket, a washer and a rubber o-ring that sits on the washer. If you could get these items it wouldn't have much play in it at all.

I fixed mine with just a rubber o-ring. Still a little bit more play than standard but much better than without