Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Feb-2006, 09:32
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Authentic..?

What do you boys and girls think of this..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-955-SP_...QQcmdZViewItem

My thoughts;

- The race bikes had moved to 996cc by 1996 (when this bike was registered
- Assuming the bike even had a plaque (surely poper homolgated racing bikes wouldnt?) it doesnt look authentic.
- Showa forks not ohlins
- Standard top yoke (surely a bike bound for AMA would have had a magnesium one)
- Standard swingarm (again - would have thought this should be mag)
- Surely a bike this pedigree - regardless of condition would command a figure higher than £7.5k..?

That said - the guy has dropped a couple of things in the descriotion to help inspire confidence..just wondered what you guys thought really (no doubt Harv will be along with his anorak shortly..)

Nat

[Edited on 2-2-2006 by Nattyboy]

Old 02-Feb-2006, 10:01
GTL

[quote]Originally posted by Nattyboy
What do you boys and girls think of this..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-955-SP_...QQcmdZViewItem

My thoughts;

- The bikes had moved to 996cc by 1996 (when this bike was registered
- Assuming the bike even had a plaque (surely poper homolgated racing bikes wouldnt?) it doesnt look authentic.
- Showa forks not ohlins
- Standard top yoke (surely a bike bound for AMA would have had a magnesium one)
- Standard swingarm (again - would have thought this should be mag)
- Surely a bike this pedigree - regardless of condition would command a figure higher than £7.5k..?

Nat
In 1996 SP would still have been 916cc it was in 97 they went to 996
955SP was just a std production 916SP with bigger barrells + pistons so all the other bits ie yoke/swing arm would be std
Old 02-Feb-2006, 10:21

Mood: Offshore
The speedo has a MPH sticker overlay. A bike costing over 25k new and destined for either here or the USA would have to have a MPH speedo. I would want something better than that for that sort of money.

Or its a track bike someone has put back on the road using what ever bits they could find
Old 02-Feb-2006, 10:39
Big Twin

Have to say it looks good to me:

Carbon fibre body work
Ohlins rear showa front
Carbon Airbox
Cast iron discs
Plaque
Rods/G'box etc

They didn't come with mag yokes or swingarm.

All these are features of the 955SP.

I guess its the usual thing though...get a note of the frame No. and phone Ducati direct, they are very helpful on this kind of thing I found.

Indeed a rare beast on these shores....if its genuine and with only 3K miles...it would be a nice buy in my eyes for £7K.

[Edited on 2-2-2006 by Harv748]

[Edited on 2-2-2006 by Harv748]
Old 02-Feb-2006, 10:40
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Darren27
The speedo has a MPH sticker overlay. A bike costing over 25k new and destined for either here or the USA would have to have a MPH speedo.

Not sure about that...my SP has KM clocks which have been changed over to a MPH face.
Old 02-Feb-2006, 10:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
As i understand it the AMA Homologation rules were tighter than WSB so had to be based on a production bike for sale to the general public hence the need for a limited amount of 955SPs, especially as the normal production bike in 1996 was still a 916.
The bit that doesn't look right to me is the fairing as I cant remember them having the built in catch trays back then and I have seen a genuine 955SP that had the same fairing panels as a 916 apart from the graphic which had 955sp in place of where you would normally find the 916 graphic.
With things like the ohlins stering damper and the plaque on the top yoke it could well be a genuine 955, but it does look as though it has been played with as I say the fairing doesn't look genuine and I wouldn't think 5-spokes are either.

As for being as quick as a R1 I would be inrterested to know what injector bodies and Exhaust size it is running as with the right kit a 955 can make over 150bhp
Old 02-Feb-2006, 11:19
Big Twin

Mood: Happy.
I agree with Harv748 who stated:

Quote:
get a note of the frame No. and phone Ducati direct

If the bike is as dodgy as his grammar, which incidentally is appalling. I would not touch it with the proverbial barge pole.
Old 02-Feb-2006, 13:24
Big Twin

Mood: 748ish
Quote:
Originally posted by Italian Stallion

Quote:

If the bike is as dodgy as his grammar, which incidentally is appalling. I would not touch it with the proverbial barge pole.

Yeah i have noticed that, why? it doesnt inspire any confidence to bid certainly not at 7k.

By the way that bike has been for sale on ebay before late last year oct/nov time. I think.
Old 02-Feb-2006, 13:33
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
Quote:
Originally posted by Darren27
The speedo has a MPH sticker overlay. A bike costing over 25k new and destined for either here or the USA would have to have a MPH speedo. I would want something better than that for that sort of money.

Or its a track bike someone has put back on the road using what ever bits they could find
all the early SP's had KM Speedo's which they did not change even when destined for UK shores.
still got mine. if the coppers ask its factory fitment, the joys of limited addition
Old 04-Feb-2006, 08:58
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by Italian Stallion

Quote:

That should read:

"If the bike is as dodgy as his grammar, which incidentally is appalling, I would not touch it with the proverbial barge pole."