Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 12-Nov-2006, 18:17
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
911 experience

Ive been lucky enough to have had a brand new carrerra 4S convertible to play with for couple of days. All tricked up, ceramic brakes, carbon interior etc. Pretty quick (but then youd expect it be with 360+bhp!), and handling was incredible.

But - and its a big but - considering it was an £88k car, it just left me a bit cold ?!

Ive been lucky enough to drive a few ferraris and every time ive driven one, ive felt a million dollars - just didnt get the same feeling with this...and was expecting to with that sort of price tag.

Guess im biased as I do love anything italian with an engine, but if I had that sort of cash it would go on a maserati or second hand fezza.

Like the bikes, I guess german cars just lack personality compared to italian marques..which is why I will probably chop my CLK in shortly for an Alfa Brera !

Was going to attach some pics but it wont let me without cropping them (grrrrrrrr!!!)

Nat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg porsche 7 resize.JPG (101.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-Nov-2006, 18:52
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattyboy

But - and its a big but - considering it was an £88k car, it just left me a bit cold ?!

Ive been lucky enough to drive a few ferraris and every time ive driven one, ive felt a million dollars - just didnt get the same feeling with this...and was expecting to with that sort of price tag.

One big difference is that you can jump in the Porsche, what ever weather, turn the key and away it goes .... every day without failure. It will be happy in town at 30mph or on the open road at 160mph plus. Ultra reliable, good fuel economy and sensible servicing.

Doubt you could say the same about many Ferrari.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Ferrari, but, consider 911 to be much more practacle super car that can be used every day. Plus the 911 will still put a massive smile on your face

Last edited by Carbon749 : 12-Nov-2006 at 19:47.
Old 12-Nov-2006, 19:15
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Must admit - I gave it some berries and it still returned an average of nearly 20mpg. My CLK only does 30 !!!

Take your point though - a more practical option - notcied the service intervals were 20k !!

Nat
Old 12-Nov-2006, 23:18
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
pity it's called a gaylordo or summat lol
Old 13-Nov-2006, 10:52
GTL

Nat - I'm with Carbon749 on this. My 911 is practical on the road and fun on the track. And, in my humble little opinion, 911's are tasteful and understated, where as Ferrari's are a little pretentious for the road.
I got 33 miles to the gallon coming back from the Midlands last week with clear roads, and commuting to work in traffic I get around 23. And on the track it's more than I can handle (I just get eaten by Ferrari's ) They depreciate massively over the first three or four years and then stabilize. Perhaps get a second hand 911 with low mileage. It’s still a lot of car. Do you really need all of the performance of a new one with all the gizmo’s, or is having the biggest, bestest on the market just a bit of an Essex accessory for Joe Average? And get a Ferrari too, as a track toy and chick magnet…..
Old 13-Nov-2006, 15:36
Big Twin

Mood: Bike or Yacht..... tough choice on sunny day ;-)
911s old and new.

Lots of sense already spoken but thought i would add my pennyworth !

I have owned 3 911s over the years and put quite a lot of mileage on them too :-)

In my opinion the 993 is the best combination of character and performance, and is it just me or do they suddenly look quite modern again now the 997 had gone back to a similar front end ??? ( parallels with 1098 and 916 of course too !)

I havnt owned a 997 but did own a 996 Convertible, in which i did 67000 miles without a single problem, AND saw 171mph around millbrook bowl :-O

My other 911 was a 3.0 SC whic had lots of character but only 188bhp..... how things have changed since 1981 !

So yes, a Lambo or F430 is faster and more fun, but if you want to enjoy it everyday a 911 is still the king IMHO ...

Steve
Old 13-Nov-2006, 17:55
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
You know...if I had Porsche or Ferrari money I'd probably have an old estate car and have more Ducatis (including some more exotic ones than I have now) and some other bikes I lust after as well.

Until around 5 years ago I was a very enthusiastic driver. In my time I've competed in International rallies and I've always driven quickly. I've never had the chance to drive anything really exotic (unless you count years and years and years ago - drove an Aston DB6 one junction down the M1). But I've always had cars like the hottest hatch of the day etc.

Until, as I say, 5 or so years ago when I had a 75 mile commute each way commute from Bedford to Reading. It was a choice of M-way or cross country. Well, the M1, M25, M4 route (and all it's associated rat runs) was a nightmare and the cross-country route (even very early in the morning and traffic free) was an absolute chore. Killed my enthusiasm for cars completely, and I can't imagine it would be rekindled by any Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo. Cars are just transport now, nothing to get excited about, especially when I see 6ft wide Ferraris completely unable to use their performance on A roads and stuck in a queue behind trucks and stuff while I sail past on my bike.

Now bikes....to me it's ten times more exciting riding any bike than any car...I imagine a lot of us feel the same, otherwise we wouldn't be on this site.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 14-Nov-2006, 12:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
20K service intervals on the latest models, Cayman/997 and on £320 per service.... if only Ducati could match that
Old 14-Nov-2006, 13:58
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattyboy
Like the bikes, I guess german cars just lack personality compared to italian marques..which is why I will probably chop my CLK in shortly for an Alfa Brera !

Nat

Will a Brera be quick enough for you, Natty? It's received a lot of criticism for lack of outright performance (and head-room, if you're tall and go for the Skyview roof). I'm talking about the V6 of course,; I'm sure you wouldn't slum it with the "Astra" engine...

Still I very nice car, though. I've driven the "slow" one; they're very nice inside, but the headroom was 'only just' adequate for me, and I'm only average height.

Also, if you're seriously considering it, www.alfaowner.com is well worth a look. Good bunch of fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
I had a Maserati Quattrosomething that reminded me of my Mondeo with a bit more poke, bloody awful thing,

Blasphemer!!
Old 17-Nov-2006, 22:21

Mood: bin' playing with it again in the garage!
If I might add my pennith worth...

I've owned a number of Porsches - did all the old Concours sh*te and got thorougly involved in all the BS that goes on in the PCGB.
I loved every one of My Porsches from my first 924Turbo to my last 964 C2 which I swapped for a breathtaking view in the Scottish Highlands. I also had a 188 hp 3.0SC, the 924 TBO had the same power but handled sooo much better and was far less conspicuous!!! They all were 100% reliable, even the 28 year old SC.
The cars are truly everyday supercars, there's only one downside driving one in England - you get hated for it. There was so much jealousy that my enjoyment was slightly marred by the constant snears at traffic lights etc. (hey maybe it was ugly old me they were snearing at! )
Driving on the continent was a completely different experience altogether!

Miss my cars but I like my new life in Scotland better!!

(didn't give up my Ducati though - just couldn't! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carrera 2 Silverstone 02.05.jpga.jpg (136.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Black C2 b.jpg (87.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by ProjectImola004 : 17-Nov-2006 at 22:24.