Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 18-Nov-2006, 23:11

Mood: moody!
What Oil?

Ok, i am new to this Ducati site having just brought a 620S.

Ducati reccomend Shell Advance Ultra 4T oil for the engine in the manual and i have a sticker on the bike saying the same. I believe that this is purely due to Shell being affiliated to Ducati through racing? (please correct me if wrong)

What do you reccomend as the best choice for Engine Oil?

Brand and type (semi or fully synth) would be useful to me in making a decision on what to pour into my new duke on the next oil change!

This is the first air cooled bike i have had, are some oils better than others in this application?

Thanks!
Old 18-Nov-2006, 23:28
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Ell, when you see the hammering that the DD bikes get it a bloody good advert. Much like the Perelli Diablo tyres If it good enough for them Im sure its good enough for your 620. You'lle need the semi oil as you have the wet clutch. 4D
Old 18-Nov-2006, 23:38
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Like wot Fordie says, there's been a big bag full of 620/583 bikes ragged s***less for 2 years on Shell Advance and I can't recall any oil related problems... except it don't work too well on Griff's back tyre.

Maybe there's better oils? I don't know, but until you find one then you can't lose with the Shell stuff.

Sure there's a commercial partenership between Shell and Ducati to endorse each others producs, but would Ducati suggest using it if it was going to damage their engines?