Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:23
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Question X-ring vs O-ring chains

Would someone mind briefly describing the differences (practical or otherwise) between these two chain types, or pointing me to an suitable article?

Many thanks.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:38
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
The x or o is the cross section of the seal... an o ring will seal at one point on each side of the seal >0< ... and the X seals in 2 places >X< on each side so supposedly creates a more effective seal keeping the links lubricated for longer...
Is that what you were getting at????
Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:45
Big Twin

Rushjob
Thanks for the explanation.
The reason for asking is that I've ordered an O-ring chain for my 750ie Sport and was wondering whether I shouldn't have ordered an X-ring instead.
Is there a preferred type for Ducatis in general, or for different types of Ducatis? I've ordered a Tsubaki as these have been recommended here on the Message Board.

Cheers.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:49
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
I've got the Tsubaki x ring on mine ( ST4S )...... superb and very strong so very little adjustment needed.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 16:56
Big Twin

That's something I don't understand ...
My 999's chain rarely needs adjustment and I've only had two in total after 18k plus miles.
My 750ie, with half the horsepower, eats chains and requires regular adjustment, I think it's had five in 22k plus miles.
Presumably the T9 uses a stronger, heavier chain as standard. I was wondering how to get more miles per chain on the 750.
Old 19-Nov-2006, 17:44
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Fast chain wear can be caused by :
- worn sprocket(s) as they stretch the rollers apart, causing the chain to heat up and pump the grease out, and force metal-to-metal contact
- wheel out of line with the front sprocket causing the chain to s-bend as it reaches the sprocket, causing it to heat up and pump grease out, and force metal-to-metal contact
Old 20-Nov-2006, 11:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Thought I'd read somewhere that X ring chains sap a fraction less power??, less friction hence less heat, less likely to chuck the lube off??

I've been thinking that chains stretching are a bit of a chicken and egg job, frequenty "tensioning" 'em leads to a need to 'er tension 'em more often

Me 998 chain lasted well over 12K miles and in reality it only had to go when the front sprocket showed signs of wear so it was a new chain and sprockets job, maybe the front sprocket was wearing cos I run the chain slacker than some might, I dunno.

Ray.
Old 20-Nov-2006, 13:29

Mood: Happy as a pig in s--t
Exclamation Chain Adjustment

Yoy will find on the 750 Sport the chain adjustment figure on the swinging arm is incorrect, if you adjust the chain to the given figure it will be as tight as a fiddle string when the suspension is compressed, best way is to set it to a figure of about 50mm slack then compress the suspension untill the arm axle shaft and centre of the engine sprocket are in alignment and check it adjusting acordingly. hope that is of some help.
Brian
Old 20-Nov-2006, 14:46
Big Twin

Brian
Looks like that may be a BIG help. Thanks!