Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Aug-2005, 21:00
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
It is probably a bit of bling, but it does and can actually do something of value...........
Old 08-Aug-2005, 21:26
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
It is probably a bit of bling, but it does and can actually do something of value...........
Aaaah!! Now the truth is coming out!.......
Old 08-Aug-2005, 21:27
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Old 11-Aug-2005, 17:55
Mille

Mood: Replacing 999...
I did read on a previous thread when "Twist of the wrist" and "Sport riding technique" books were bieng dicsuused, that the poster (cant remebver who it was) said that they had always blipped the engine to get the revs up before changing down (i.e. negating the need for a slipper) but following the advice of TOTW they let the brakes do the braking and the engine do the driving by selecting the right gear for the speed (after braking) as oppose to selecting the gear to limit the speed.
I was taught to drive a car by a policeman many years ago (no I am not/was not one) and this is something that they used to do and I have always done when driving a car, now out of instinct. It never occured to me to do it on a bike?!
Apologise for the ramble but if your going to spend your hard earned you want to be sure.
But then again if its bling then its totally justified whatever - but then theres a whole thread on how much do you spend on your bike!!!
Old 11-Aug-2005, 18:33
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Quote:
Originally posted by Real McCoy
My clutch has just started slipping, before i take the plates out and see if the can be de glazed, i wonderd if anyone had any advice or tips on what to do

Getting back to the original request, it's a doddle cleaning a clutch, all you need is a few allen keys and if possible one of those proper magnetic thingies to dig out lost nuts etc (you know what I mean)

Just take the cover off, then remove the 6 bolts holding the springs in place, then remove the pressure plate (more than likely it'll pull the pushrod with it, just be careful not to nick the o-rings on the pushrod.

Then it's a case of pulling the friction and steel plates out making sure you keep the clutch pack in the same order (this is where the magnetic tool comes in handy) clean the plates and refit
Old 11-Aug-2005, 18:36
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
The real benefit of a slipper is when riding hard and fast, such as on track, you don't have time to let the brakes do the braking THEN change into the right gear for driving through and out of the corner - it all happens rather quickly when you're grabbing a handful of Brembo to drop the speed from 130+ to 60-odd for the corner that's 25 metres in front of you at the end of the straight.

The slipper clutch allows you to change down to the right gear for driving out of the corner while still travelling too fast for that gear.

Without a slipper the back wheel locks up, the bike goes sideways and the least of your worries is the state of your underwear.

With the slipper the clutch slips until the speed of the back wheel matches the speed of the engine - no lock-up, no sideways and no unwanted deposits in the skiddies...

Works for me - kept the throttle pinned on the Hanger Straight on Monday until I grabbed the front brake and simultaneously went down 2 gears so Icould get back on the gas as soon as the bike was turned-in. No lock-ups and no slides at all!

Giles

PS. After responding to the hi-jack element of the thread, my advice on the slipping clutch is to check the plain steel plates as well as the friction plates. I had a warped plain one that was causing my clutch to slip - both ways!
Old 11-Aug-2005, 18:47
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Ah so that why ive got slipper clutches!
Butch
Old 14-Aug-2005, 22:48
Mille

Mood: Replacing 999...
Apologies for the hi-jacking .

kp