Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 13-Oct-2005, 14:49
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Aprilia RS250\'s etc

After the recent trip to Jerez (have I mentioned that yet? :P) and two of the Scottish mob on RS125's I/we have started toying with the idea of a wee beastie, but I know bugger all about them, had a few two stroke dirt bikes so I know about pistons/rings, powervalves etc etc.

So what's the low down?

Andyb was trying his hardest to convince me to get a small 4-stroke 400, babyblade, VFR, RVF, FZR, ZXR etc etc
Old 13-Oct-2005, 14:58
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
They are fantastic to ride on track, but it does help if you are on the small side. Maintenance is fairly simlple and as long as you don't go over the top with tuning they are reliable. They also don't tend to damage as much if you crash them. (or hurt as much if they hit you after parting company!)

An RGV250 or RS250, a Stan Stephens tune and Oulton Park - Heaven
Old 13-Oct-2005, 15:02
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
if I were getting a small track bike I would go for the two stroke.
its lighter more tuneable and easy to work on. and I would imagine depending what model you go for parts are more readily available.
I like the mini fours. but if were looking at cheep easy track fun, two is the way for me
best bet is a RGV M loads about. the aprilia is just a Suzuki engine in there frame. Yamaha make good track bikes in the TZ range. i wouldn't bother with any of the road going versions on track. (to fragile)
or you could just get a Kawasaki KR1S if tank slappers are what your after
Old 13-Oct-2005, 15:05
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Just be aware they're VERY light. I always scare myself switching from my 749S to Mrs Twinfan's RS250. Oversteer city until your brain re-calibrates! I've not had chance to take the RS250 on a track, but I reckon it'd be a big bang for small bucks. Loads of fun!
Old 13-Oct-2005, 15:11
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
But.......if I were getting something for track use only, I'd go for a Yamaha TZ250, these can be picked up for sensible money and (IMO) are the finest bikes of all to ride on track - eh Monty, WJB.
Old 13-Oct-2005, 15:28
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
We've had this for over three years now:

She's a '97 model. We started off doing loads of trackdays on it for about a year with no problems whatsoever. Then after three days of us both using her at Jerez she started going *rattleRATTLErattle* Turned out one of the powervalves had broken and fallen into the barrell. Spent near £800 getting her all rebuilt nicely for Couch to race.
He did a season on her with no problems other than a snapped throttle cable At the end of the year it needed stripping down and checking over and it turned out one of the barrells was a little worn on the exhaust port and the rings had been catching it and slowly taking lumps out! So another £700ish rebuild and she feels SO much better now
Couch has just put it back to a road bike, so I've been out on it terrorising anything and everything It makes you feel like a racer all the time, everything's a target, every gear change has to be perfect so you don't drop it out the power, slip the clutch out the corners....it's so addictive. I don't think we'll ever sell her, it's one of the most frustrating little bikes in the world some days, but it makes me grin like a loon everytime

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit