Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-Oct-2004, 23:59
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
An alternative to Broadband....

Found out about this in a paper at the weekend. Seems pretty good and worth a try at £2 per month instead of £10+

http://www.onspeed.com/index.php
Old 27-Oct-2004, 00:14
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Found out about this in a paper at the weekend. Seems pretty good and worth a try at £2 per month instead of £10+

http://www.onspeed.com/index.php

Been using it for about a month, brilliant. Doesn't work on Mpegs or music downloads yet, but they are working on it.
Surfing and email is really quick and you can adjust the compression rate to suit the quality of pictures you want. You can download it on a 7 day free trial here http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/Onspe...-10293068.html
Old 27-Oct-2004, 14:27
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Anyone else got this?
The rating on the download site for it is 50 - 50 at the moment but I might be interested if its as good as the box says?

Cant get Broadband in my village, lucky to keep electric for a full week at the moment and we live within 10 miles of three power stations too, go figure.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 00:04
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

It works with Broadband as well !!!

And seems pretty damn good far...need to do some proper speed tests next - but well done!

Just seen an advert in the Daily Mirror as well 2day as luck would have it.

Cheers - Frank
Old 28-Oct-2004, 01:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
The only problem with this is that it's no more than a compression system which reduces the file size to get it down the line quicker.

Great! You say ... why doesn't everything work like that?

Well, it takes time to compress the file before it's sent over the wire, and then it needs to be decompressed when it gets to the other end. This takes time, so it could actually make your internet connection *slower* in some circumstances.

The other problem of course is that a lot of internet content is *already* compressed - jpg images, media files like MP3s and video, and so on. You can't get any more compression into something if it's already been compressed (efficiently!).

Given that most of the stuff you download over broadband is going to be images, music and video ... there doesn't seem to be much attraction to me.

What I can't work out is why you'd pay a tenner a month for it! If you're already paying for an ISP and spending about a tenner a month, then add another tenner a month and you've already got the price of a broadband connection which you can use 24/7 with unlimited download and a much, much higher connection speed.

It's a great idea and I'm sure it works, but it whiffs of snake oil if you ask me...

Old 28-Oct-2004, 08:52
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye

What I can't work out is why you'd pay a tenner a month for it! If you're already paying for an ISP and spending about a tenner a month, then add another tenner a month and you've already got the price of a broadband connection which you can use 24/7 with unlimited download and a much, much higher connection speed.

It's a great idea and I'm sure it works, but it whiffs of snake oil if you ask me...

Old 28-Oct-2004, 08:55
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Sorry forgot to add my bit....

Totally agree you you Antonye. The other thing is one of the benifits of Broadband it frees up your phone line. With this you still can't use the phone, if you only have one line.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 10:20
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally posted by Col996s
The other thing is one of the benifits of Broadband it frees up your phone line. With this you still can't use the phone, if you only have one line.

Oh yes - completely forgot about that too!
Old 28-Oct-2004, 21:13
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 848 Evo Corse SE, Evoluzione 2 ....

Mood: Dementor hunted by Foggy :)
Quote:

It's only Two Quid a month Antonye, horses for courses, I only go on line evenings/weekends from home so, with my Wanadoo ISP + Onspeed only costs me about Twelve quid a month, so I can't justify broadband at it's current price.
Old 28-Oct-2004, 21:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Quote:

Also...surely if you know your machine and the software that's on it that should speed up your connection whether broadband or dial up...
Pop up dummy...Adaware..hijackthis...and the like will help you to speed up and weed out some of the Cr4p off your machine.
The most common culprits of slow speed are HBOs (helper Browser objects) that are designed by helpful software peeps to help you but things like spyware utilize them.
Learn about your machine I say....
Oh! and defrag' regularly.....

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit