Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Mar-2006, 10:56

Bit of advice

Hi guys & gals

New to the forum and i'm looking to buy. Been soaking up all the excellent tips and advice here. (goldmine of info by the way)
I'm used to Kawa's, usually only a couple of years old and know my way round them pretty well.

Looking at a 748 and my buy price means I'm looking at 2001 vintage. I've overcome the worry about rockers
(worry about that later)

Question is - I'm looking at a 748s 2001, 10+K miles, full history, looks immac - But - it's had 4 owners.
This seems a couple too many to me.
Any thoughts

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by Norbert]
Old 04-Mar-2006, 11:02
everton

I think some people like the idea of Ducati ownership but decide fairly early on it's not for them. That's why you can get a fair smattering of nearly new dukes with little miles on them. Maybe that's what has happened here?

After all you are looking for a duke on a budget, not unlike many others, and maybe this one has just been through the hands of being affordable but not settling with one owner?

Course the other reason is it might just be a mare

Seriously though, if you have any doubts, see if you can get a local ducatisi, maybe a member from the DSC, to check it over with you?

[Edited on 4-3-2006 by everton]
Old 04-Mar-2006, 11:35

The answer I'm looking for is
'That sounds perfect, go buy it this instant'.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 11:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert
The answer I'm looking for is
'That sounds perfect, go buy it this instant'.

What at any price,
I don't think you'll get a answer like that unless people knew what rice it was going for.
Old 04-Mar-2006, 11:55

Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
What at any price,
I don't think you'll get a answer like that unless people knew what rice it was going for.

Just a joke on me, no matter how much I research and check and try to use my head, I always end up buying with my heart/gut feeling.

It's up for 5k prob try and push for 4.5 / 4.75
At a dealer - non Ducati
Price sound right??

Will keep an eye on it while I keep looking
Old 04-Mar-2006, 17:52
GTL

Have you had a look at the bikes for sale on here, there seems to be better bikes at better prices on HERE
Old 04-Mar-2006, 18:28
Mille

Depending on what model you want i'd keep looking so long as your in no rush.....I spent about 6 weeks watching the adds on auto trader and the MCN before buying mine.
I was'nt worried about having a top model and settled for a 748E.
Two previous owners, registered September 2003 - 53 plate, full Ducati service history, just under 6000m, carbon hugger and front fender, Termi's, and i haggled him three hundred as it was due a set of belts - £4300
Granted it was'nt on my door step, i had to travel to Lewes near Brighton to pick it up which was about a 330m round trip, but was worth waiting and traveling for
Its also worth keeping an eye on the site, there's allways a bargin to be had here
Old 04-Mar-2006, 22:01
500SD

Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
lot of guys that buy ducatis crap there pants when they find out how much the servicing is so they sell them in the first year
Old 05-Mar-2006, 11:06
Bevel Head

Mood: Flatulent
There's a cracking looking 02 748s in the "marketplace" section here - less than your budget too!

Best of luck with the purchase
Old 05-Mar-2006, 14:07

Quote:
Originally posted by greenmachine
There's a cracking looking 02 748s in the "marketplace" section here - less than your budget too!

Yeah I had noticed it, trouble is I need to chop my zx9 in first, new I should have waited before giving the builders the go ahead on the conservatory, I'd have the cash waiting otherwise. still, it was the deal with 'er indoors', new bike for me - conservatory for her.