Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 01-Sep-2006, 12:02
Mille

Mood: whatever!
Magny Cours WSB

Dear All,

I am looking to go to Magny Cours in October but have never been so, I am after some details on the best way to get there either by bike/ferry/tunnel or plane/hire car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards Frazelli
Old 01-Sep-2006, 12:18
Big Twin

Hi, in the past we have gone via Calais then Paris and out to Orleans, Sea France usually have the best deals on ferry.
The circuit is outside Nevers, which is approx 10 miles away, this is a medium sized town with a few hotels bars etc and probebly the best place to stay.
We once tried to get a taxi back to the circuit at 11pm - no chance !!!
Eventually after 8 phone calls the resturant owner persuded a taxi to take us back at approx 1am.
Magney Cours has a post office and a small supermaket but thats about it.
The weather can also be cold and wet.
Bike or car it depends on the numbers etc
There are local Gites who also offer accomadation.
I you want more specific info either post or U2U

I am thinking of travelling down to Imola and maybe MC the following weekend on the way back
Old 01-Sep-2006, 13:40
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
I went in 2003 with a few friends. We took the bikes from Portsmouth to Caen on Britney Ferries, the ferry was (imo) expensive at £121 but since it was an overnight crossing I had to book a cabin - they wouldn't let me not book one.

The route from Calais was about 300 miles, we took the scenic route but I couldn't begin to explain what that was! One of the guys with us knew where he was taking us... I just followed and enjoyed!

We stayed in a small family run hotel in Nevers called Hôtel de Verdun - hotel.de.verdun@wanadoo.fr - they spoke good english (and found humour in my efforts to communicate in french!), the rooms were good and the brekkie was quite substantial for a french effort. Only thing was the bikes had to be parked on the street out front, but there were concrete posts to chain them too.

As said, Nevers is about 10 miles from the circuit and easy enough to find. The town has plenty in the way of eating/drinking facilities and everywhere was very welcoming. Not much in the way of entertainment if that's what you want.

As for the race meet... it was great! Didn't cost much - i think it was about £55 for tickets which included Saturday/sunday circuit entry and also paddock access. We didn't pay for the main grandstand but there were better viewing spots elsewhere around the track. Although we managed to blag our way into the grandstand for Saturday qualifying cos the guy wasn't such a jobsworth as they tend to be over here.

Finally...
yes, it was worth it.

(edited: just found the ferry info!)

Last edited by NBs996 : 01-Sep-2006 at 13:51.
Old 01-Sep-2006, 13:45
Big Twin

Just noticed you are in Chichester, portsmouth -cherbourg/Le harve would be better and the roads cross country are much better Fun
Old 01-Sep-2006, 13:48
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonparker
Just noticed you are in Chichester, portsmouth -cherbourg/Le harve would be better and the roads cross country are much better Fun

Agreed! Pompey - Cherbourg's the way to go.
Old 01-Sep-2006, 14:32
Mille

Mood: whatever!
Chaps,

Thanks for the info thats a great help.

Regards Frazelli