Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2004, 18:55
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Tamper proof sticker on chip

On my 748s bought new last September which I think is a 2002 model as that was when they stopped making them.

On the computer theres a big silver sticker with mainly italian on it and in english do not remove. Theres a circle in the middle that has torn edges as though the chip has been removed before.

The print on the circle part does not line up with the print on the rectangular part left on the computer.

Would take some pics if I had a digital camera!!

Would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 22-Jan-2004, 19:04
Big Twin

mmmh..I wouldn't worry too much mate. I replaced my Dp chip for a JHP one today, and had to remove the do not remove sticker yet again, after it was replaced after my last service. I guess your point is that something funny may be up as the two parts of the sticker appear to be different/dont align?

Again, I wouldn't worry about that, I think I'm right in saying(?) that during a service they may have to access the CPU settings, and therefore cut the sticker, and remove the bung to gain access. After my last service, they replaced the sticker with a new one.

If it bothers you that much, I think its been mentioned before but you can buy a new sticker for a few quid!
Old 22-Jan-2004, 19:40
Ducati Corse

There is a little trimmer in there that the dealer might have needed to adjust at some stage. Cant remember what it does but i'm sure my good friend will be along to remind me!

I would however be slightly worried that whoever serviced the bike didnt replace the sticker with a new one. I'm sure a Ducati main dealer would have done that, they certainly put a new one on my ST2 when they checked the chip for me.
Old 22-Jan-2004, 21:14
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I was sure it was not broke when I got the bike as I looked all over it like you do.

What do they do at the service lean it out or something?

Its Riders of Bristol and they are a main dealer I believe. Theres a pic on the sticker that doesn't align its all in italian though.

Thanks

Lee1980
Old 23-Jan-2004, 08:51
Ducati Corse

I think the trimmer sets the idle mixture so it may well have been adjusted at first service time. Come on Nelly, where are you when i need you!!
Old 23-Jan-2004, 08:56
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
The trimmer is indeed for adjusting the mixture, but not just at idle. It affects the mixture throughout the rev range. The dealer might well have adjusted this setting and not bothered putting a new sticker on. Ask them. But, as already said, don't worry about it.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 10:20
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The sticker would have had to be "broken" to set up the fuelling.
As well as the eprom, there is indeed the fuelling trimmer behind it.
As well as being tamperproof, the sticker acts as a seal to prevent water getting into the ECU.
It's not an issue if there hasn't been a new sticker replaced, so long as the bung is sealed.
I use duct tape because the stickers are a pain to keep peeling off everytime the bike is set up.
Just make sure the ECU is sealed, with whatever method you choose.
Old 23-Jan-2004, 10:37
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Mine's got a layer of about 4 stickers built up over time as it gets serviced!

I wouldn't worry about it - if it really does bother you just go and buy a new one from Ducati for a couple of quid. Part number is 4331 1791A ... I think!
Old 23-Jan-2004, 12:37
Ducati Corse

I wasnt trying to say it was anything to worry about! I just find it a bit odd that the dealer wouldnt have put a new sticker on a brand new bike, not least for waterpoofing the bung. Although i seem to remeber that they cost about £6 each.

Carpet tape works for me!!