Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jan-2004, 22:51

Which cans for a 748s

Hi all,

Not a technical problem, just looking for some advice. I have tried a search, but found nothing definitive.

I’ve got a 52 plate 748s and am looking to buy a set of cans for the beast, but which are the best balance of cost, quality and performance.

The obvious choice would be Terries, but there a tad expensive. Does anyone have experience with Akropvic, Blue Flame, Arrow or Should I just save up and get the Terries??

As I understand it, the Eprom requires to be changed - is it only Ducati that can provide this, or can others?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Also attached a pic of the bike - seen as I’m new here.
Old 15-Jan-2004, 23:10
Ducati Corse

Welcome bullitt

I would recommend a set of second hand termis which should come with a chip. You may pay a little bit more but if your bike is still under warranty then it's the only way to go. Remember that you will be able to sell them on again for a good price if you change the bike so that also keeps the cost down.

And the sound is beyond compare
Old 15-Jan-2004, 23:46
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Get yourself some 50mm carbon Termis with the 45-50mm balance pipe (mid section) and then a chip from Ducati.

The cans can be picked up from places like ebay or even the Market Place here on the message board for a couple of hundred notes.

The chip is the only thing that will be specific for the 748 - the pipes and cans are the same across the 748/916/996/998 range. A new Ducati chip will cost you 28 quid from a dealer - they may even fit it for you free!
Old 16-Jan-2004, 01:03
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I agree about getting termis......

....but I'd get a chip from JHP or AJ Racing. The Ducati Performance ones used to be a bit iffy and there were some bad ones about.

Check out ebay for some 45 or 50mm termis, then give JHP a call for a suitable chip. They're probably cheaper than DP ones anyway.

There are some 50mm termis on eaby;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=10 448

Drop him mail and see if he's selling the 45mm - 50mm balance pipe too, or just the end cans.

Tim
Old 16-Jan-2004, 01:06
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Also spotted these on the trader....

....." For Sale. Termignoni 45mm cans for 748/916 with chip. Very good condition. Please call anytime with any questions.

contact paul mcelroy

07771 597523
kent "

Just make sure these are the race (carbon) cans and not the standard ones!!

Tim

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Rattler]
Old 16-Jan-2004, 08:54
Ducati Corse

You know Tim ..

.. I think you look on ebay as your own stock cupboard
Old 16-Jan-2004, 20:19
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
now i've got em fitted i'd go for blue flame cans with a jhp chip can be bstd to fit but worth it in the end.

besides termi's are so common everybodys got them

glad to see you bought one the right colour

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Nigel C]
Old 18-Jan-2004, 11:44

Cheers all,

The plan is then to go for the Termis, preferably 50mm, with the connectors and a chip from Ductai given that the bike is still under warranty and it's only £33.

I had noticed that the recommendations are for the Carbon finished pipes. Is there a difference between the Carbon and Titanium finishes?

Thanks again
Old 18-Jan-2004, 12:59
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
The titaniums on Keefyboys old 998s used to sound fantastic, a crisper metalic sort of a sound, compared to a deeper rumble from the carbon. I've got a basic 748 and added second hand 45mm termis. I had to run them without changing the chip for about 50 miles and it ran fine, then I put in the DP chip that came with them in and it made the performance horrible, in particular the throttle response. Neil Spalding at Sigma then fitted an FIM(?) chip at the DSC trackday and the difference is incredible. Nelly has worked his magic on it since then including fitting a 41T rear sprocket, but it's in full trackday fairing, so I've not ridden it yet - can't wait to get it on the track at Jerez at the end of the month. yeehhaaaa!!!

I reckon Termies pretty much hold their value once they've been sold on once, so if you sell up, you'll get a decent price for them, not sure if you could say this about others, despite excellent reputations. There's also something to Ducati purists that there is only one exhaust to put on a Duc and your bike is not complete without it.

WeeJohnyB
Old 22-Jan-2004, 08:45
Mille

Mood: Shiney
We fit four different makes of can to Ducatis and whilst Termignoni are the factory approved items, the build quality is only third best with the new Arrow cans and Akropovic being the best and the lightest by far. You will also find buying new or secondhand cheaper than Termis. :P