Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 17-Sep-2006, 11:54
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Reliability is something i was concerned about before i bought, but i still took the plunge. I knew about early model issues but still plumped for a 9000 mile 2 owner 1995 916bp over a later model 748.
In nearly 4 years of ownership it has given me tears and much joy at the same time, that said i actualy do use my bike and in all seasons. The bike now shows around 28k on it so i have done on average over 5000 miles a year on it although the last year it has been limited somewhat.
As for reliability it has let me down twice, both times were rectifier failures. first time was near chester and resulted in a local recovery home. new rectifier and battery and was sorted and never missed a beat for another 10,000 miles. second time was coming back from spain, and after 2000 miles of severe heat and town traffic (major contrib factor) the new jap spec rectifier failed once again resulting in a boiled battery and a 100 mile recover to le havre before getting the ferry back to the UK and recovery home. This needed a new generator this time as this has suffered in the heat.
I have now fitted a new loom, got rid of the alarm, and certain gremlins are now completly gone and it runs like a gem ready for another 10,000 miles plus i hope.
I also own a RC30 which can be more sensitive to ride. Being a honda it should be pretty reliable and no cause for concern, however its not the run of the mill road bike churned out from honda. While it has never let me down in over 3000 miles, it has had a few issues like fuel leaks from perished fuel pipes and seals in the carbs, also it requires some mechanical sympathy on par with the ducati. things like on a hot day be aware its going to run very hot, not like doing less than 50mph to keep it cool etc etc.
I accept that the 916 is going to have issues from time to time, but it still doesnt deter me from riding it, however i accept it for what it is and try to avoid things i know it wont like.
All said i dont think they are much less reliable that later ducati's or your average jap bike, i believe prevention is better than cure so what i would say is if you are slightly skint, or not someone who likes to tinker then a jap bike may be a better and less stressfull option.
I bought a new CBR600RR in april this year and to date has over 6000 miles. It has broken down once (cause still not known) and been recovered back to the dealer for a diagnostic "dunno mate" cause of the fault which is not really a good start. It is horrendous on fuel and i think the ducati is cheaper to run over distance.
On the upside parts are actually quite cheap for ducati's compared to Honda. granted they may be made from dog poo and not last as long as your jap parts, but usualy cheaper when unexpected.
Old 17-Sep-2006, 19:19
Big Twin

Mood: www.zeitgeistmovie.com The Truth they dont want you to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopiToo
Hello

Do you think this day and age there is still a stigma about Ducati's and reliability issues.

Nope.....only if you are stupid!!!!
Old 17-Sep-2006, 20:01
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDaMauler
Nope.....only if you are stupid!!!!

Hello VanDaMauler

sorry is that me or you?

TopiToo

Postbit Selector