Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 11-Dec-2005, 20:14
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
This board DEFINATELY needs a techinical archive.

I know some will say just do a search...but that just seems a long way about getting the info, abnd even then, if the piece you are looking for may be a little one liner in a big long thread you have no chance of finding it.

How often do some real jems of info come up on here, only for them to be forgotton about, and then asked a few months later.

Its not difficult to achieve...it just needs a locked section, with one or two moderators with a bit of techinical know how, who can just look at threads as and when they come up, and if thought useful and they should be copied to the archive (quite happy to volunteer for this). And I'm talking real gems of info here...not threads about which tyres are best or which chip for my blah blah blah. Things like Shazaams posts on regulators and how to overcome the problems, or chain and sprocket combo's...these are always being refered to time and time again.

I understand this was started some time ago, with the old threads being sorted to an archive if thought 'good enough'...but it seems to have not materialised?

Other sites I visit have them and they are priceless after time.

[Edited on 11-12-2005 by Harv748]

[Edited on 11-12-2005 by Harv748]

Sort of agree, but would this cut down on new posts which may put a different point of view, or prevent updates of existing posts ?

Just being devils advocate
Old 11-Dec-2005, 20:26
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

Intresting comments, I was not aware that the web site was manage internally. maybe somebody could mention this at the AGM?

Have to agree with YMFB "I like this site but all good sites evolve and are continually updated"

and YES it is a great site I was not disputing that! But for me the search engine is pants and as Harv 748 states "How often do some real jems of info come up on here, only for them to be forgotton about, and then asked a few months later."

You must have an opion? after all its your site we are paying for it.

regards

TopiToo
Old 11-Dec-2005, 23:30
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: R1200RT F800GS. Hopefully another Ducati soon

Just in case someone is listing the suggestions made in this thread for a future review of the site, might I suggest that the regalia section be dragged up to date as its still 2003/4.
Old 11-Dec-2005, 23:53
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementor
New visitors will not go to the message board, but will look at the menu bar to see what's going on, unfortunately they will be disappointed as it appears nothing is, leave the site, not join the club and never return!!

This is what you get, when you click on the local meetings.....

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/index.php3?M=86

and if I click in my own region, there is nothing there since 2002

Old 12-Dec-2005, 00:06
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Some good comments in here. We want to keep the website up to date so I'll be having a word with Flanks and we'll come up with a plan and make some stuff happen.

The technical section is something we've agreed to do but is very time consuming - if someone wanted to volunteer to go through the board and find all these gems then that would be a good start.

As far as the recent technical issues go with the site being unavailable etc - Eamonn has a plan that I must admit I'm not really aware of what he's up to so I'll have a word and see what we're doing there.

Old 12-Dec-2005, 00:28
Ducati Corse

Overall,i think the site is fanatstic and the web team DO A SUPERB JOB.The only gripe i have is with the Search engine.It totally infuriates me that if you do a search,look at a thread then return to the search engine all you get is "page expired" and then have to put in the search again-right from the homepage!!Apart from the need for a bit of updating,i think it's ace!!
Old 12-Dec-2005, 00:47
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Slightly off topic but...

Jasper, when you get the "page expired" message, just hit "F5" then "Return" and it'll put you back where to your search results.
Old 12-Dec-2005, 07:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Quote:
Originally posted by AK and CK
Quote:
Originally posted by Dementor
New visitors will not go to the message board, but will look at the menu bar to see what's going on, unfortunately they will be disappointed as it appears nothing is, leave the site, not join the club and never return!!

This is what you get, when you click on the local meetings.....

and if I click in my own region, there is nothing there since 2002

That's because we haven't done anything since 2002

Agree that the front page needs sorting, and archiving all of the meet us stuff - a link through to the rideouts section would be good.
Old 12-Dec-2005, 09:46
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
I'm just off to do the 'day job' so just a quick tip from me for now:

After you have done a search and found a list of results, don't click on the link to the item with the left mouse button (the normal one) instead click with the right mouse button and choose the option 'Open in new window'.

This will open up the new topic in a new window for you to read when you're done just close it and you then immediately revert back to the search screen - no messing with expired pages and F5 etc.

Of course this procedure only works with Internet Explorer on a PC, Macs and Firefox users will have something similar I'm sure !!!

BTW, keep the suggestions coming, it's getting to the winter nights so it's the time of year when we plan and implement changes to the system !

Also can we have a bit more than just '... the search engine is pants...' ! It would help us to know in what way it's pants and how it could be improved for you. This comment applies to anything of course not jus the search engine.
You wouldn't go to the service centre and just say - 'It's not right, fix it !' would you ???!!!??

Old 12-Dec-2005, 10:48
Big Twin

Well...I would be happy to go through the reams and reams of technical stuff for archive material for the 748/9** range.

I spend waaaaay to long on here any how, so may as well be doing something constructive!!

It will take a while but, once done, it will be a mine of useful information.

TP, you have a U2U.

[Edited on 12-12-2005 by Harv748]

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit