Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 12-Jun-2006, 10:31
Big Twin

Mood: Ducati-less!
Talking Grib's Castle Combe Report

It's a long one, sorry!

What an awesome weekend, I haven't come down from the high yet! The weather was amazing, burning hot on Saturday and just nice on the Sunday with a bit of cloud cover. It looks like we've had a week in Spain we've caught so many rays
We travelled down on Friday night and set up camp in the Ducati part of the paddock. Most of the Desmo Due-ers were already there, set up with a beer in hand enjoying each others company. We got the caravan ready and went for a wander and a chat. It was bloody freezing when we got there and all I'd packed to sleep under was a sheet as it had been so warm every other night. We started off trying to get warm under it, then slowly added layers of clothes until we were both fully dressed! Needless to say, neither of us had any sleep and I made a phone call to my Mum in the morning to bring us a duvet in case it was that cold again.
Saturday morning was red hot. We dragged the bike out, I got kitted up and went off to scrutineering. The bike and me went through no probs and passed the sound test at about 96Db, where the trackday people had measured it at 104Db with the Decibel killer fitted! After that there was sod all to do until qualifying at lunch time. That soon rolled around and off we went. I was making a bit of a hash of things and letting other riders put me off, so didn't do great. I ended up 11th class B and 27th overall. Zimbo came over to look at the timing sheets with me and seemed overly happy that he hadn't been beaten by 'a girl', which was kinda like a red rag to a bull for me.
Anyway, the race was called late in the afternoon, I was feeling sick as hell again and off we went to line up. There were no proper grid markings for bikes there, so the rows weren't staggered, we were just in a straight line next to each other! I got my usual appalling start, bogging it right down, being passed by loads of people and generally making a complete mess of the first lap. Once the traffic cleared I was still struggling, just couldn't get my head straight. Constantly missing gears and apexes, then Zimbo comes by on about the third missed gear of the race. We had a good battle, swapping places several times and he just pipped me to the post on the last lap when I missed yet another gear trying to line him up on the run down to the last chicane. I end up 12th in class B, 28th overall with a slightly better lap time than qualifying. We had a great evening in the paddock, chatting to everyone, congratulating the winners and hearing tales of derring do from all. Griff had fallen off coming into Quarry when his brakes failed on about the third lap! Absolutely gutted for him as he'd been by far the quickest 583 runner all day and was in with a real chance of a win. He bashed his wrist, but it looked OK, so I gave him an ice block and the boys set about getting parts and fixing his bike through the evening. Mum and Dad turned up with our duvet (thanks Mum!) and Dad had brought me a good luck charm in the shape of a great big cuddly tiger He was sat on the bike for the rest of the night, getting pats on the head from most people and turned upside down by Phil Huntley everytime he wandered by. Soon it was bed time and a good nights sleep was in order.
Sunday morning was just nice, not too hot. We had to be ready a lot earlier as the race was about 10.30am. There's was nothing to do other than fill the bike up and put my kit on, so no panic. Griff went to be re-scrutineered and was suffering brake paranoia despite a completely new set-up. We had a go at using them in the paddock and they were fine, just a bit cold and lacking feel, so he was willing to line up and have a go at the race. Clouds kept rolling over and a few spots of rain made a few of us look a little concerned, but the sun shone again for the race. Eventually we were called. Dad was with me this time and he always manages to shove me about a bit and get me proper fired up before I go out, which is definitely what I needed. I'd been talking about how to get off the line properly with Tony the night before, so I was going to try this new technique and see how it went.
Off we go on the warm up lap and I practice my new start...bloody hell, that worked a treat! So I'm happier about doing the proper start. Roll around at a moderate pace, slowing for the final part of the track before we line up on the grid and there's yellow flags out at the second chicane. Some numpties binned it in warm up. We get closer and I can see it's Griff! I couldn't believe it and was just hoping it wasn't his wrist or brakes that caused it. There was oil down from his bike, so we sat on the grid for a few minutes while the marshalls cleaned up. I was parched, I would have done anything for a bottle of water while we were sat there. The commentators were chatting away about something and talked to Ali and Dom on the grid, but I couldn't hear a bloody word through my ear plugs! We had another warm up lap, then we were there ready to go. Focused this time, revving the bike nice and high, lights go out and I'm off and hardly anyone's come by! Yes, a half decent start at last. I'm right in the thick of it, Ducati's everywhere jostling for position, I'm feeling good, looking for gaps and getting my own space. It soon starts to spread out and I end up behind Antoine (Tonio). I kept creeping up close enough to make a pass, then I'd end up making a mess of somethign and falling back, then he'd make a little mistake and I'd catch again, but never quite there to pass him. A couple of 620s came by in the last few laps and set me back a bit further, so I settled for keeping him in my sights and trying to keep enough speed not to let anyone else through. The chequered flag came out and I give Antoine the thumbs up, he does the same to me, that was fun, much better than Saturdays effort. Another second off my lap times and 8th in class this time, 24th overall. Brilliant, this is what racing is all about, what an amazing weekend. I'm feeling 'the fire' as Phil calls it Sorry Zimbo, this 'girl' wanted to go a couple better next time out
Griff was OK after his second off, apparently oil came out of the air box onto his back tyre! The clerk of the course dragged him up for a right bollocking, poor sod. I'm sure he'll be back, ready for battle at Oulton.
After the disappointments of Cadwell's breakdown and Brands' crash, I needed this so much. I thought maybe racing wasn't for me, but there's no way I can leave it alone now, there's so much better to come from me, I've got to keep trying.
A huge thanks to everyone who's been so kind over the weekend. I can't get over how amazing all the Desmo Due lot are, I couldn't hope to be racing with a better bunch. Thanks to all the marshalls who stood in the baking sun for us and acknowledged us all with a wave at the end of the race, much appreciated. Well done to Ali, Dom, Phil and Paul Payne who all had top place finishes over the weekend, some amazing lap times and close racing, excellent stuff
Old 12-Jun-2006, 10:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Nice write up, great racing and thanks for the tea
Old 12-Jun-2006, 10:48
Big Twin

No probs Great to see your little 'un at the track, fast asleep despite big noisy bikes rolling by. Making me worried now, I actually found a baby cute!
Old 12-Jun-2006, 10:53
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
well done Lu....its great to have people like you and tony in the series.....

Did you use " saturn " as your braking marker into quarry..........hehehe

Phil
Old 12-Jun-2006, 10:57
Big Twin

Hahaha! I couldn't spot Saturn on the move, but luckily didn't see Uranus either, so it was all good
Old 12-Jun-2006, 11:19
Mille

Mood: THUNDERPANTS HERE I COME, NEW PANTS PLEASE :-0
Well done Grib...dont worry about Zimbos he obviously confused about his own sexuality , i am using you as a mark and if i am as ever quick as you i will be well happy..............methinks i would have trouble keeping up with ya Teddy that was on ya bike.......
Old 12-Jun-2006, 11:21
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
i am using you as a mark and if i am as ever quick as you i will be well happy..............

You're very easily pleased then Did you have a good time?
Old 12-Jun-2006, 11:28
Mille

Mood: THUNDERPANTS HERE I COME, NEW PANTS PLEASE :-0
Have too say and Tim (Rattler) will agree with me as he knew i was not looking forward to it after being there in the rain and hail couple weeks ago , but have too say loved it ,so far goes down in the same spot as Assen for me, had a few good battles so thanks too David & Butch.
AK saw vid last night and asked why i was shaking me head going down straight . i said it was the only place i could sneeze hayfever was going mental
Old 12-Jun-2006, 11:33
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
AK saw vid last night and asked why i was shaking me head going down straight . i said it was the only place i could sneeze hayfever was going mental

LOL It was really bad there despite taking tablets to try and stop it. Haven't taken anything today back at home and it's been fine. Typical. I'm sticking to town life, the country makes you cry and snot
Old 12-Jun-2006, 11:39
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Well done Lucie, a good solid result to put fire back in your season.

I had a really patchy season last year, but it's always worth carrying on as there's no finer place to be than the paddock of a DD race! Now go and remind couchie what it feels like to have a good race, we want him back for Oulten!

Ali