Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 28-Mar-2005, 13:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Buying a Van

I'm chopping in my Freelander as I no longer need a 4 wheel drive because I shall be living on a properly made up road and can't afford to shop in Harpenden any more so it's surplus to requirements.

Up until about an hour ago, I was thinking hatchbacks, 1.6 + to tow a bike trailer, pref. diesel, pref. under £7K. But honestly I don't like cars much and can't think of any good reason why I shouldn't just buy a van. It's what I need because I don't want to tow my bike but reckon I could manage, with assistance, to get it in and out of a van.

Ali's due here in about a half hour, bringing my car back and we're going out to look at vehicles. Any suggestions on what to avoid, what to go for? All constructive comments welcome.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 13:38
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Having owned a van for a few years, they do have drawbacks as well as advantages.
Insurance is the main one...it's probably twice as expensive to insure a corresponding van versus car.
If you're wanting the best of both worlds, some of the people carriers will take a bike as well as having the creaturecomforts ofcars too such as the Renault Espace & Ford Galaxy to name two.
The one thing I really did not like about my van was visibility - if you're ever trying to pull out of a junction the view to the nearside is useless if the junction isn't at 90 degrees and sometimes pulling out can be a bit dodgy.
I'd suggest taking a couple for a decent drive before you make up your mind.
Hope the arm's a bit better.
Cheers
Andy
Old 28-Mar-2005, 13:56
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Ruth Transit vans today are more like a car, once you have got use to the size. Power steering, heated screen, mirrors,etc. What you have to concider is insurance and service costs. Its a commercial vehicle, so garages want a piece of your profits

I think Nick's got the best idea.

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Jon]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 14:02
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
Tesco's are doing van insurance now, so you can get an online quote to get an idea of the insurance costs

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by electricsheep]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 14:08
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hmmmm...been thinking along these lines myself and am starting to look more along the lines of a diesel estate car of some type instead.

Just another idea.

As was said - test drive as many as possible!

Good luck - Frank

u zzled:
Old 28-Mar-2005, 14:29
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Hehe ive got a Company van and they pay for everything, sorry not very constructive. :P

/ian
Old 28-Mar-2005, 14:39
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I have been thinking alot about switching to a van -

pros
easier to load the bike (you can use a long ramp)
bike is out of sight
bike is dry
loads of space for gear and tools
easier to drive than a car + trailer

cons
insurance
mpg
vision at junctions (although you can usually take a different line)
space to park the van

The pictures I have seen with bikes loaded into people carriers look very cramped, but I have not seen one in the flesh.

I guess it comes down to how many trackdays and trip for servicing that you do, compared with normal car type trips
Old 28-Mar-2005, 16:06
500SD

Mood: DOH!
I have a VW Transporter 2.5 turbo diesel. It does 30mpg all the time, cruises at 85mph, is comfy quiet and even handles ok.
It is no bigger or harder to park than a large 4x4 or people carrier, and fully comp insurance is less than £300.
Main cons are that people seem to think it's a works van so it's ok to smack their doors into it at car parks, you pay high tolls for it because it is classed as a commercial vehicle even though it isn't being used as one, and poor visibilty at times, although, to be fair, you do get used to that.
Another option is those slightly smaller vans you can get now, they're quite good. And you can buy a van from VW which has windows in the side and extra seats in the back, which you can click in and out as required. It's called a kombi.
Personally I'd steer clear of transits and the like as they are very poor quality, not a patch on VW and Mercedes, which hold their money for a reason!

You might think from that I like my van, I do!!

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by desmojen]
Old 28-Mar-2005, 17:02
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally posted by desmojen

Personally I'd steer clear of transits and the like as they are very poor quality, not a patch on VW and Mercedes, which hold their money for a reason!

You might think from that I like my van, I do!!

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by desmojen]

I have 1 VW transporter (99) and 2 transits.(02)

The trannies have been no trouble what so ever. The VW is a pain in the a$$. It going for yet another trannie.
Old 28-Mar-2005, 18:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Thanks for all those replies. Jen, I read yours after looking around this afternoon and thinking that the VW Transporter seems the ideal size and not as boxy as the transits. They're about the right price and, if your experience of driving yours is as good as you say, I'll be test driving one v. soon. Had to drive my Freelander back here though and can't yet manage the gears with my left hand. Was having to lean across to change gear with my right so I'll be waiting a few days before test driving any, it seems.

I'm now hooked on the idea of a Red VW Transporter with the double doors. Camper vans, transits and cars like the Espace will only come into the equation if I don't rate the VW when I test drive it.

[Edited on 28-3-2005 by Redruth]

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit