Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 24-Jun-2006, 11:04
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I'm kinda curious about this....

Sorry Dom for going off topic as well - maybe a 'use of lap timers' thread is needed.

In my experience (tiny as it is) I've talked to guys who just set the lap timer running, record their 'x' number of lap times during their session - hardly bother looking at it while riding and then do some analysis back in the pits as to what gave them the faster laps.

Since I'm never likely to ever be in a fast group, do people really have the ability to see a difference in time from one lap to the next and be able to analyse (on the move) what actually made the difference?

Professional Racers - yes, since they have day in - day out experience of doing it.

Not a dig at all at anyone - personally - I've seen so much timing going on in the fast group, I dont see why it isnt recognised - just look at the data OFF the bike IMHO.

F
Old 24-Jun-2006, 11:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
Don't quite a few of the newer bikes have a built-in thumb operated lap timer built in now? How are the TDO's going to control that?

As for "them the facts", there will be people using them no matter how much you dislike it Dibble.
Old 24-Jun-2006, 15:38
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBBLE
TP, and why are these racers hiding their laptimers ?? and if they are just out there practising their lines and refreshing their knowledge, not pushing the envelope, why do they need them ???

The rules are their as they are deemed necessary to the punters safety ... you should know that better than anyone !!!

Dibble, I didn't say racers did I ... I said your average trackday punters use them as well and you bloody well know it so take your head out of the sand.

I am not compromising anybody's safety. People who use them generally turn them on before they go out and check them when they come in. When I'm on the track I'm concentrating on my riding, not what time I'm putting in.

Yes I am aware of track safety, having run asst course control at silverstone on Monday so I don't need you to lecture me on what I should or shouldn't know ... and IMHO simply running a laptimer DOES NOT affect anyone's safety. What affects people's safety is people riding like idiots, end of story. And there are idiots that run laptimers and idiots that don't.

Insurance companies insist on the strangest things in lots of different area's, just because insurance companies mandate no timing doesn't make them right.

If you don't want to do a track day with people running laptimers then you'd better stop doing track days - whether you like it or not, it's a reality.

And every TDO under the sun is reading this ... Hi Mark
Old 24-Jun-2006, 15:43
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
TP,

Do CSS still do timing?, went on Level 1 many years ago and they posted your lap times to you showing each session...

Nup ... we don't time students.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit