Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2004, 18:06   #1

Odd oil leaks?
I have heard that on SS motors, oil can get past the crankcase half gasket and swing arm pivot inner oil seals, thus leaking from the engine. I found a leak on mine, and have now bought new seals and bearings to do the job. (Pretty cheap too, for original parts, I thought). Anyone ever done this job? I think it is made harder due to the internal circlips preventing drifting the lot out from one side to the other. How hard are the bearings to shift anyway? The manual says they get damaged when removed; are they that tight? Gentle heat will be used methinks. Also, I am thinking I will put the new inside seals in the opposite way round to that shown in the manual, as you would fit them to, say, a gearchange shaft- spring side towards the oil. I guess this shoudn't happen, but why did Ducati see fit to use seals either side of the crankcase seam, and not just the outer one to keep crud out of the bearings? Hmmm. Any thoughts anyone? Cheers folks!
Old 27-Apr-2004, 20:27   #2
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
my thoughts:

gaskets are no longer used between crankcase halves

two seals? perhaps one to keep oil in, and another to keep dirt/water out?
Old 27-Apr-2004, 21:20   #3

Hmm, that's as I thought. It's a niggle, but I'll see how it goes when I have the time to change them all. I can see it being less easy than I would think- we'll see!
Old 29-Apr-2004, 06:15   #4
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
just had another look at my split apart crankcases, mate and i can't see how oil does get splashed up to the swingarm bearings - they look totally isolated to me.

are you sure that's where the oil is coming from?
Old 29-Apr-2004, 09:20   #5
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Could this possibly be from the crankcase breather on top of the engine and then dribbling back/downwards ???

Mine seems to be prone to this from time to time.
Old 30-Apr-2004, 09:43   #6

Well, I thought it eas coming from behind the front sprocket oil seal, but thats dry. Not coming from the breather either. And it doesn't always do it. Never mind, I'll catch it one way or another.Thanx for your thoughts folks!