Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Apr-2005, 13:47
Montjuic

Mood: Ecstatic
arses!

I asked the dealer to ask previous owner whether he applied the protecter due to stone-chipping, and he came back very quick afterwards and said yes, he had, so apparently there is going to be some chipping underneath the blooming thing.

Has anybody had experience with stone-chips, and how bad can they be? I'm not bothered with slight blemishes, but big ones are less ideal. I've never had such things on any of my other bikes, so am wondering if the dealer is just not keen on removing it. They won't accept responsibily they say of there's chipping under the protector, which I suppose is expected.

Can these things be re-applied after removal?

So many questions, perhaps one day I can be of use too.

J
Old 18-Apr-2005, 13:52
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Seriously doubt they can be re-applied, you'll probably damage it getting it off, at best the glue will be removed so allow water to get between the protector and the nosecone.

Also if you're going to remove it it could well make things worse and the paint is already damaged, it could potentially lift more paint off when you remove it
Old 18-Apr-2005, 13:57
GTL

Mood: Busy, Busy...Busy!
Not a chance of it being re-applied,why are you so keen to take it off anyway.
They dont look half bad?
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:02
Montjuic

yukkers! I don't it

But i may have to get used to it if the paint is gonna come off! Maybe get a respray in that case.
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Jayse
yukkers! I don't it

But i may have to get used to it if the paint is gonna come off! Maybe get a respray in that case.

Or, if you really hate the things, just walk away from the deal and find a bike with no protector or stone chips.
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:12
Montjuic

Already put deposit down, I'm a dunce, but everything else about the bike is great. I'm sure I'll cope, it's the ride I'm after!
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:15
GTL

Mood: Busy, Busy...Busy!
I do think you may be blowing things out of proportion a bit.

Lets say that some horrific nightmare awaits you beneath (unlikely...probably just a couple of stone chips)

Worst case scenario is that you just buy another number board or have it painted to your taste anyway.

Im sure that once removed,you will find everything is ok
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:17
Montjuic

That's the spirit!
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:18
500SD

Mood: Sad my Membership icon has gone:(
Why don't you just say to Steve that the deal depends on him taking the thing off and ensuring the nose cone is 100%.
If he won't do it, walk away and buy one from somewhere else.

there is no point buying something you are not sure about, who knows what lurks beneath?????????????????

Personally I don't mind them but you will never put it back on and you will need a new one about £60ish. On mine one tiny corner was peeling up very slightly, the dealer replaced with a new one at first service.
Old 18-Apr-2005, 14:26
Montjuic

I reckon if what's underneath is really bad I could just get a new protector, but I'd probably just get it re-sprayed, I don't think I'll cancel the sale because of it, I'd lose my deposit, and the bikes in good nick otherwise, low mileage etc, so I'll ride it loads so I can get over the fact of having a new bike and then worry about removing it I think.

As for doing deals with Steve, I'd agreed a price with him the week before, I get there and he's put on £200 on the price tag which I pointed out, looks like he was trying to infer that I was already receiving a discount, to discourage haggling, 'expletive here'!

I'm not enjoying my buying experience with these guys at all, just looking forward to the bike and I can forget about them hereafter.