Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 17-Nov-2004, 18:15
Mille

Mood: Super (moto!)
the RIP post got me a thinking......

Why do we / you / I do track days?
Bear with me, I know there is a track day section.

Initially it was to make me a better rider on the road and so I could learn some real skills and learn how to ride properly.

So the post about the death last night in L'pool got me thinking - and that's a first today don't ya know - I too do not really like road riding, but love track days.

I'd love a track day only bike but when the sun does shine there's nothing better than a good blat along some back roads on a sports bike, but I always feel relieved / surprised to be home in one piece.

I know the 748 ain't that practical as a bike to commute upon, and I have it in hibination during the winter months, so why not have a dedicated track bike and a run-around for day-t-day stuff?

Anyhow, does anyone else feel this way?
And why do / did you do track day(s)?

Tim
Old 17-Nov-2004, 18:19
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i do trackdays to push myself and my bike as hard as i can i a controlled (relatively) enviroment.

i am leaning much more towards trackdays as opposed to roads but like you say it is great to get out for a run on a sunny sunday morning.

if i had the cash i would maybe get a 'slower' bike like a 600 monster just to go out for fun. though how much less at risk i would be on it i dont honestly know.

[Edited on 17-11-2004 by dickieducati]
Old 17-Nov-2004, 18:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Originally i did track days to improve my riding and confidence in the bikes ability. It improved my road riding no end, but also gave me somewhere to get rid of my urge for speed.

Now, well probably just for the sheer buzz and the adrenalin of getting a corner right and passing people, having fun and trying to get faster.

I still ride on the road more than on the track and although I only ride half the speed i used to before my off, i have to admit i do ride 'fairly' quick on the road despite the dangers.

I get an adrenalin rush from just riding my bike and i love the feeling, i think there is something to be said for the buzz of blasting somewhere scenic on a sunday and stopping for a cream tea before riding like a looney (in my sense of the word) home again. This may be one of the benefits of living in a rural area, it means i rarely see 'traffic' and its fun all the way!

I go for the theory that life is for living and i take risks that are acceptable to me and that includes riding on the road for now. Whether that will change in the future depends on money and my attitude i guess.
Old 17-Nov-2004, 18:34
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

It's a personal choice thing, when you've had enough of road riding you stop doing it, simple as that really innit.

I can see the viewpoint of those who find the risks unacceptable but I'm glad to say that I still enjoy road and track riding, when I don't I'll stop.

Some of the postings about this seem to be from people who almost want us to convince them to carry on doing what they have serious doubts about. There are other fun things to do out there so you should only do what you are comfortable with as an individual I reckon.
Old 17-Nov-2004, 19:06
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
I think it realy depends on how you ride Track/road ?

road riding needs to be Defensive!

not sure about track as i dont do them!

but it looks very much offensive !

i could be wrong tho!
Old 17-Nov-2004, 20:00
Mille

You calling me offensive?!

Tim
(dogsloweverywhere)
Old 17-Nov-2004, 20:50
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

I have to say a combination of busy roads, **** weather, family commitments, and, well, the sheer unpleasantness of being knocked off by some idiot are all taking a toll on the amount of road riding I do.

I'm almost getting to the point of sticking to the track only. My thinking goes that half a dozen good track days a year + the beers and company that goes with them is what its all about.
Old 17-Nov-2004, 21:42
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul James

Some of the postings about this seem to be from people who almost want us to convince them to carry on doing what they have serious doubts about. .

I can only assume that this comment is aimed at my post. However I am not trying to convince anyone to ride on the road if they don't feel confident to do so. It is just that I'm fed up with people outside the world of motorcycling attacking it on the grounds of danger without the gospel of "death traps" being preached from within.
OK don't ride on the road if you don't want to but please don't try to discourage others from doing so.
I have been riding over 40 years and want to continue to do so until age prevents me so I really don't need people giving the anti bike brigade more ammunition
Old 17-Nov-2004, 21:52
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
I can only assume that this comment is aimed at my post. However I am not trying to convince anyone to ride on the road if they don't feel confident to do so. It is just that I'm fed up with people outside the world of motorcycling attacking it on the grounds of danger without the gospel of "death traps" being preached from within.
OK don't ride on the road if you don't want to but please don't try to discourage others from doing so.
I have been riding over 40 years and want to continue to do so until age prevents me so I really don't need people giving the anti bike brigade more ammunition [/quote]

Here Here
Old 17-Nov-2004, 22:49
Mille

Not a dig - more a thread leading on from the original RIP posting.

Tim

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit