Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:27
500SD

a couple of mates had 748r's in 03/04 and they both used to die when at a standstill! i remember they always used to be revving their bikes at any traffic lights sounded nice when we were all out on them
Isnt it down to the state of tune of the 748r as it was more supersport homologation special than road bike? i.e. tuned/set-up for racing!!

my bike has a had terrible flatspot @5k since new, which is so bad that it sometimes feels as though it won't pull through it! bag o' ****e!!
hoping to have it sort with a new ecu (its at ducati leeds right now) then a pc3 is going on!

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by chillo]
Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:31
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
DucSoon, how many people on here rave about their bike?

How many on other forums rave about their's?

What about say Apple's website, look at the iPod forum...

Everyone complains because someone there might have the answer, I'm not going to ask a question here say about a 1998 Honda Integra Type R with a creeking clutch pedal (common problem BTW), who on here would be able to answer?

So because you see a raft of complaints about Pedro's issues, and then several, and we are talking several people who have had similar problems, you and every non Duke rider might assume is a huge problem. Whereas he is just trying to find a solution on a common forum.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:31
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by chillo
a couple of mates had 748r's in 03/04 and they both used to die when at a standstill! i remember they always used to be revving their bikes at any traffic lights sounded nice when we were all out on them
Isnt it down to the state of tune of the 748r as it was more supersport homologation special than road bike? i.e. tuned/set-up for racing!!

my bike has a had terrible flatspot @5k since new, which is so bad that it sometimes feels as though it won't pull through it! bag o' ****e!!
hoping to have it sort with a new ecu (its at ducati leeds right now) then a pc3 is going on!

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by chillo]

Did you order the 'sedici then?

Not sure if you've already said ...
Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:32
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Lily
the older fireblades were renowned for having serious tank slappers due to the front end wobbling. You could either live with it or buy a damper! the damper improved things no end, but it could still do it if your rode it hard.

i had an older fireblade for 5 years(rrv) It was my first big bike after i passed my test! never had a damper on it! Just hold on tight!
Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:40
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jpmercer
DucSoon, how many people on here rave about their bike?

How many on other forums rave about their's?

What about say Apple's website, look at the iPod forum...

Everyone complains because someone there might have the answer, I'm not going to ask a question here say about a 1998 Hon..hon..hon..unrecognised word Integra Type R with a creeking clutch pedal (common problem BTW), who on here would be able to answer?

So because you see a raft of complaints about Pedro's issues, and then several, and we are talking several people who have had similar problems, you and every non Duke rider might assume is a huge problem. Whereas he is just trying to find a solution on a common forum.

I don't know how common is that problem (but i know it's pretty common unfortunatly, and not just because of what i read here), that's why i asked:

"Is it only an "R" problem or not?
Ah, and is it exclusive to the 748/749 models or does it extends to the 998/999????
Sorry for asking so many questions guys, but i'm seriously thinking about getting a Duc."

I'm not bashing Ducati, but i think that if a lot of you Duc owners have this same problem, then it's a common Duc issue, and not only i should think twice before i get a Duc but you guys should complain and demand Ducati to fix it.
That's just it.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:00
Big Twin

I just don't buy this argument about the 'R' models being anything special interms of they 'they are race spec road bikes so what do you expect!' Uhhhrrrrm no...its a road bike, thats why it has lights/indicators etc.

To put it into perspective, my 1995 916 SP (with big valves/titanium rods/higher compression/lightweight clutch/lightweight flywheel/big cams/twin injectors) by the sounds of it should be cutting out all over the place, but it ticks over, once warmed, as sweet as a peach (ok its a little lumpy!) and can be ridden like an ER500 if required without having to be revved at the lights or restarted at roundabouts!

If I'd splashed out £13K on a new bike and it kept cutting out on me not only would I be banging on the door of Ducati UK but I would be seriously questioning the safety issues with a bike that can cut out on you when approaching roundabouts/junctions etc.

If it was me I would be seriously miffed

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by Harv748]
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:08
Big Twin

Damn right Harv. Im not bashing Ducati either, I love my bike and thank God they exist, but its a problem that should really be addressed, by Ducati themselves.

Its all good loving your bike and supporting its manufacturer, but blind love is stupid?
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:09
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
[quote]Originally posted by Lily
yep that sounds about right!!

i appreciate you want your bike to run well, but without saying tough luck i think that although the chip should improve things if you shut off or slow down very quickly it can and will continue to do this

as i have said I adapted my riding anyway.

Tough luck ,adapting your riding style are not conclusions, for a serious problem, as stated previously my bike has cut out whilst down shifting approaching a bend at over 80 mph.I,ve ridden different v-twins on the road and under track conditions and never encountered such a frequent cutting out. There must be some technical solution.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:14
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
Green1

yeah if mine did it at 80 I would be asking questions, but if as pedro says its just when he somes into a halt and when idling its a bit different!

The technical solution is a better chip or a power commander, not certain if there is anything beyond that.

we all accept different things on our bikes and for me its not an issue. I did question it with a ducati expert and i from the explanation I have handled it as best as I could. If it did it to the extent you are saying I would have serious concerns, however i dont think many folks have experienced that.

From what I know the people on here that have experienced it with the 748r (YIFE/Fil2 etc) have never had it to that serious extent.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:29
Mille

Mood: 1098s...oh yes
Quote:
Originally posted by pedro
it cuts when you slow down from any speed to a stand still,around the 20mph mark when moving with a closed throttle

The point I'm making is I accept a few problems / niggles with such a high performance bike, but with all the testing and static engine development the bike should not cut out with the correct chip and termi provided.
As in previous discussions power commanders should not be an option.