Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 05-Nov-2005, 10:48
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Here Here YMFB,

I could not have said it better myself!

Regards

ScottyB
Old 05-Nov-2005, 11:18
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Stef
Some interesting comments regarding the performance and motivation of our armed forces as well as the situation in Iraq....
Just out of curiosity, what experience do you have in putting your safety / life at risk - just so we can judge the basis on which some of your comments are made.
Like do you actually know first hand what you're on about or are you another armchair theorist?
I've got mates over there, one who's just got back and another soon to go out... I'm glad there are still some of us over here who show support for them.
Old 05-Nov-2005, 14:06

glad you found the comments interesting, but unfortunately, they are not points of veiw, they are facts. Therefore, it does not really matter who puts them to you.
As for myself, I have made personal carreer choices to avoid ANY involvement with millitary programs. In my line of work, i have been asked to develop a few pieces of kit not designed to help grow vegetables, i am sure you know what i mean. I turned those down despite good career prospects, and at the risk of p***g my employers off. But i took that decision as a responsible adult. If my country/familly was threatened, i'd be very quick to sign in the forces. This is not the case.

There are other jobs out there than professional mercenary.
that's just to answer your personal attack/comment on myself, which i feel is taking the discussion to a level we shouldnt reach on this forum. its all about biking.

lets drop it, unless we have an intelligent discussion, rather than a competition to see who can p*ss the furthest.
Old 05-Nov-2005, 19:22
500SD

its politicians who send our troops to wars, we might agree or disagree with the reasons for the war our troops are being sent to, but, we have to support our armed forces in what ever conflict they are in cause if the **** hit the fan and our country was at threat, who would be the first to put their lives on the line for us & our families ? our armed forces, thats who...
Old 05-Nov-2005, 20:29
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Stef
'Its all about biking'
yes it may well be but if the only thing posted on here was have you seen the latest Ducati it would soon loose its freshness whenever I log on after a boring day at work you can always find something interesting/different/irreverent/usefull/helpfull/funny,and above all non PC.
In a world where eating bacon and celebrating being a christain looks like being a criminal offence this site is breath of fresh air and long may it continue

yes ive ive got my poppys as both my grandfathers where in the Tank Cor in Africa during WW2 and survived and I miss their amazing stories.
Ian
Old 06-Nov-2005, 10:46

Quote:
Originally posted by 888heaven
Stef
'Its all about biking'
yes it may well be but if the only thing posted on here was have you seen the latest Ducati it would soon loose its freshness whenever I log on after a boring day at work you can always find something interesting/different/irreverent/usefull/helpfull/funny,and above all non PC.
In a world where eating bacon and celebrating being a christain looks like being a criminal offence this site is breath of fresh air and long may it continue

yes ive ive got my poppys as both my grandfathers where in the Tank Cor in Africa during WW2 and survived and I miss their amazing stories.
Ian

(on soldiers being on the front line, if the sh*t hits the fan..)
Fair point, but they exceeded their role on this one. The country was never at risk. even with insight, we were never threathened.
The troops still had a choice to go. basically, your friends prefered to see a little country and bomb a few inocent civilians for the "good of the country", rather than to see a court martial for refusing to obey orders. I personally would have taken the court, if i had been involved in there in the first place. This is very harsh and simplistic, but thats the way i feel about it. There is a lot of difference beween two soldiers when one of them is fighting a just war, and the other one isnt.
and if becoming a professional soldier means giving up your personal judgemnent about whats right or wrong... what can i say, they chose it ! they have decided to become just a tool, in my eyes. Hence the dilemna for becoming a soldier.

(by your reasoning, we would have to buy poppies for the SS)

I also had two grand parent serving (and lost the last one 2 months ago). I have a lot of respect for what they did, but they were never professional soldiers.
They signed in when the country was threatened. they beleived in what they were fighting for. Big difference. And i admire what they fought for, not just the fact that they fought.. would you admire yours if they had been SS's ???

oh, and i agree that the forum should be able to talk about other things than bikes, but the thread just seem to go off a little on personal attacks, rather than keeping it to the subject.

(when was eating bacon and being a christian a crime ????)
Old 06-Nov-2005, 19:25
Big Twin

Mood: Can't make me mind up
Just my 2d worth

I don't know anyone ( literally ) who thought we should go to war.

Most people seem to think the war is to do with oil.

I don't think there is any oil in Ethiopia.

War turns people into animals. The only point of living is to survive another day. I used to work with a WW2 veteran who shot and killed two japanese prisoners - and then ate their food rations.

If we do not stop the tide of Islamic Fundamentalism then in your lifetime it may well be against the law to be a Christian.

Generally the population of middle eastern countries seems to be extremely excitable and unstable. Which means that whatever we do they will think we are wrong.

We must support our servicemen and women to the hilt while we are in Iraq.
However that support should be conditional on not allowing the bullying elements in our services to be allowed to corrupt their colleagues efforts towards peace.

I honestly believe that this government appears to think that it is above English and International law and has brought disgrace to our countrys name throughout the world.

Toodle pip

Phil

[Edited on 6-11-2005 by philthy]
Old 07-Nov-2005, 15:18
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Just a couple of points to think on:

The whole thing took off as a result of Mr. B. Liars knowing falsification of inteligence regarding the threat posed to us by Iraq. His toadying to that nutter Bush was unprecedented and should have seen him sacked !!.

If the job needed doing it should have been finished first time round, I for one would have been mightilly p*ssed off if I'd lost kin in the first war to then see it all kick off again.

Has anyone mentioned the ongoing cost to the long suffering tax payer to conduct a war not wanted by the majority of UK citizens ?.

When do we go and sort out Mugabe ?

Why has the UK ID card issue gone very quiet since the London bombings ?.

Is our "Prime Minister" fit to be out on his own ?
Old 07-Nov-2005, 15:51

without wanting to go off topic.
the first gulf war itself was a bit of a joke. It isnt a well advertised fact, but SH had rights to the oil fields exploted by kuwait, as they were originally iraki teritory. It also hasnt been advertised that SH attempted to negociate peacefully over those field, and threw a few ultimatum at them. They chose to ignore those, because of US backing. before SH invaded kuwait, he was granted a green light by the US. It was an inter arabic conflict with which they didnt want any involvement. It's only when george snr realised that he and a few members of his cabinet owned the company exploiting those contested fields that it all kicked off.

Of course, the first thing we heard of it here was that SH had unlawfully invaded kuwait.

it just makes you realise how sick the world we live in is.
Old 07-Nov-2005, 20:57
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
If you look at any of the Dictators around the world in the last 30 years+ they have all been funded or backed by either the British the Yanks or the Russians it all depended who was in favour, and on what side they thought they could get best out of any backing.
Both Us and the Yanks backed SH when it suited them when they where fighting the Iranians and turned a blind eye to chemical warfare then, perhaps because our Industries helped there chemical production.

Quote:
(when was eating bacon and being a christian a crime ????)
When were lights a crime, oh dear oh dear heads in sand syndrome lets not upset the jolly foreigner.
Quote:
A report by officers at Waveney District Council based in Lowestoft Suffolk,says funding lights does not fit with the councils core values of equality and diversity because Christmas focuses only on the Christian faith.

This is a Christian Country if those who come over here dont like our laws and religion then they should Bugger back off to a country that suits their religion.
I dont see the French liking their imigration policys at the moment and it wont be long before it spreads over here.
just remember where the tube bombers were recriuted Mosques.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit