Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Apr-2005, 09:45

Leaky lens & Rusty Discs

I have noticed that when I wash the bike, some soap always ends up leaking into the near side rear indicator lens. Its not a major problem as I just take off the lens and dry it out but it is a bit annoying. Being new to Ducati ownership, is this typical...or a faulty lens. There is no doubt that if I took the bike out in the rain water would leak into the lens...I am only washing the bike very gently with a fairly small amount of water. The water is seeping between the black casing and the lens across the top of the lens.

If you tell me that it is a "feature" of the lenses then I will live with it, if not I will mention it to my dealer. Don't want to get a reputation as being overly fussy !

The other thing that I have noticed on my bike, which is now 3 weeks old ('05 model 999) with just over 800 miles on it, is that the front discs are starting to discolour, looks like rust, between the disc faces. It is on both sides and really does not look good. The area I mean is inside the holes. Anyone got experience of this? It is not that bad at the minute but it does make a new bike look like it has done 10,000 winter miles. I am going to point it out to the dealer at the first service on Saturday, but wondered if it was just me or if this is typical.
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:27
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I hope you are not washing the bike with Fairy Liquid,(or similar) in the water?They have a high salt content and can cause unplated metal to rust.
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:30
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
My discs has started to rust after about 1600 miles, but I had used the bike a couple of times over winter so I blamed that. Mine were going just inside the braking area on the silver metal before the gold coloured disc carrier. It's doubtful you could claim under warranty for a replacement as they're a serviceable part that gets replaced.

Leaky indicator lenses are not normal. Neither of my rears leaked.
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:37
Mille

Mood: bleedin ecstatic!
hi Gareth, my discs are prone to that too, within a couple of days (although, same as twinfan, i rode mine in winter) but the leaky lens is a fault, tell the dealer to replace it.

KeefyB - is it really that bad to use fairy liquid?? Ive heard its not best, but never heard its corrosive? (and yep, thats what ive been using)
Old 05-Apr-2005, 10:42
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by sonic
KeefyB - is it really that bad to use fairy liquid?? Ive heard its not best, but never heard its corrosive? (and yep, thats what ive been using)
Yep,much better to use shampoo from your local car accessory shop.
Old 05-Apr-2005, 11:10

No, have never used fairly liquid...it contains salt ! I use Autoglym car shampoo.
Old 05-Apr-2005, 21:31
Montjuic

Glad to hear you use a quality product like Autoglym, Its amazing how many people use Fairy liquid.(kind to hands murder on bikes).
By the way my indicators dont leak.